• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To have a Flintlock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Caplock" ????!!!! Almighty God forbid it! "Whats you going to do when you run out of them nipple huggers?Your life wount be worth grizzly (droppings)then!!! :haha:

Ok....this is good! Plenty of good advice here and I am listening! I guess I already have so many projects and hobbies that one more might mean I don't get much of anyone done. I am working on a new canoe, deer hide moccasins, and a new set of birch arrows for my longbow. The bottom line is that I want one (I can hear you all laughing already...) good, well built, simple (but beauty in its simplicity/utility) rifle that I can become attached to and run these hardwood ridges with. I was thinking I'd get 'more' gun and better quality for the money if I built it. Now I am rethinking that. Perhaps this new deer slayer (which will retire the old lever-action ) would be best purchased complete...maybe even used. I spoke with my wife and she wants to go on a trip to some sunny place and says I could spend the same amount (she quotes 1500) and we'd each get our special thing for the year. (course we all know that trip will end up costing well over 1500 and any gun I get will be brought up anytime we are in financial pinch-point!).... So, I begin to look for complete gun options. I am impatient right now cause I just want to start using it. Where shall I look?

Thanks for all your guidance thus far!!

Dan

$1500 is a lot of money for most of us, but not so much in the custom flintlock world.

But you do have "finished" options.

You could look at Pedersoli (factory produced). They are far and away the best built, best finished and some cases down right awesome looking rifles in mass produced market. (Pedersoli)

Then there is the semi-custom rifles produced by TVM. I say semi-custom because if five guys buy the same model there will be no doubt they came from the same place - maybe a little different here or there (not a "carbon copy") but close enough that you have to look fairly close to see a difference.

You can check them out here (TVM) You can go from pretty basic for 700 or 800 bucks, or you can "customize" and make a pretty good dent in your 1500 bucks.

(edit - I just had a look and their prices have gone up a fair bit since my last serious look - your 1500 bucks would get you a "standard rifle" from them now)

There is also builders like Tip Curtis (no website, but someone can give you info on him). He can provide you with a fully functional rifle "in the white" - so basically you just stain/seal it yourself plus do the metal treatment of your choice (cold blue, rust blue, rust brown or just leave it).

His price ranges would be similar to what you would see at TVM but it would be a little more unique.

Those are the first three options that come to mind - I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

Tip Curtis
Phone: 615-654-4445
I don't think you will be disappointed with him.
He has kits, in the white, and finished all fro very reasonable prices.

Back