• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To turn or not to turn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That is one of the questions. I have all my leather cut and dyed for my Southern Shot Bag. Here is a description. It is a single piece back and front flap. It will have a patch knife sheath attached to the back and a small pocket inside. The main seam of the bag will have a welt for reinforcement. I'm torn between turning the bag or stitching it up and not turning the bag leaving the stitching exposed. What are your thoughts? I could also use a bit of advice on the small pocket inside the bag. Place it on the back of the bag or front the bag? I'm open to all of your experienced and inexperienced input and ideas.
Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

I'd turn it. I've done them both ways and, without turning, you end up with a flat pouch. Stitching it inside out and then turning seems to give you a little more room and, I think, looks more authentic. And you want the inside pocket in the back side of the bag. For belt pouches I usually don't turn them but I always turn shot pouches. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post some pics of one I'm working on now to show inside pocket placement.

Back