• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Told Ya!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cousin in Maine. Where there are coyotes, the deer decline. Particularly in areas of heavy snow they are murder on deer, and particularly the young. Good smoke, God Bless, Ron

Back when I lived in Ga they were a common sight not only in the woods but on the highway, around houses, etc. I shot one once through some brush after he had sensed me. After he turned and ran I checked where he's been standing. No blood and only one drop where he entered the woods. However there was a "fur" trail going about 30 yards where I lost him. The fur was beautiful, long black to gray and soft.

If I see a coyote, no matter what gun I have in hand I'm gonna try to shoot him. Last year I had a 12 gauge I was turkey hunting with and saw one at 60 yards in the field, and I let him have a heavy load of 6s and he took off running. A few days later when my grandpa was out disking the fields he saw a 3 legged coyote :wink: I got my 2nd coyote of the year killed this morning. We call them around here and we had been calling like 25 minutes already and were about to head to the next set and then a big 40 lb. male came barreling around the corner and I let him have it right in the head! :grin: I'm thinking about bringing my .45 TC Hawken sometime and just hunt sets that are close in. If the wind's in the right direction I can call them in within 50 yards if they do come in.

Yeah I lived just out side Yellowstone Park about 20 yrs ago and they told me the same thing about the wolves before they reintroduced them. I even submitted pictures as proof but they said I didn't take the pics in the park.

Some of the responses here have dredged up cool memories for me. I have a "magic meadow", called that because I have killed so many elk there.
My favorite memories are sitting on the edge of that meadow until past shooting light, millions of stars in the sky, and a pack of 'yotes starting their greeting howls just down the meadow. You can see city lights and the horizon from this meadow, it slopes down to the east. The smell of the pines, the cool breeze, and the coyotes howling just gives me a happy feeling. Grandpa Brines used to say we have the mountains in our blood.

Mike Brines said:
Some of the responses here have dredged up cool memories for me. I have a "magic meadow", called that because I have killed so many elk there.
My favorite memories are sitting on the edge of that meadow until past shooting light, millions of stars in the sky, and a pack of 'yotes starting their greeting howls just down the meadow. You can see city lights and the horizon from this meadow, it slopes down to the east. The smell of the pines, the cool breeze, and the coyotes howling just gives me a happy feeling. Grandpa Brines used to say we have the mountains in our blood.

I can't imagine living anywhere but the mountains. As a kid started out in the WA cascades the once I hit the rockies no lookin back lol.

IMHO, there is no better place to live. Too bad 32,000 new folks discovered that last year. Not aimed at you, it's just that there's too many people here.
Welcome to COLORADO!!

Well I moved here from MT in 92 because all the coloradians that was movin there lol figure this state was under populated. Now all these dang Californicaters are moving here with their CA ideas and driven more out lol

just talked to a friend that lives about 8 miles from me, n he whacked a yote this morning, had three of them working deer within sight of the house. We are down near the MD boder but still in Pa. With yotes this close to home I guess I'll have to start watching the dogs at night being as they are Chihuahuas, just right for a Yote snack.

Could it possibly have been a coy-dog hybrid. We sometimes have them here in Maryland?

Our DNR folks told us the same thing, no coyotes in Rockville, Maryland..., so we sent them a picture via email, and asked them "what animal is this" and they said "that's a coyote"..., so we told them the photo was taken in the rear parking lot of Police Headquarters in Rockville...., they stopped being silly after that.

They come down close to DC by following the C&O Canal trail..., that's how we get our bears down here too.

LD

Back