• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tomahawks who makes good ones

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskletke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear sirs,

I am in the military and am in the market for a good tomahawk that I could use for both military purposes and for 18th century reenactment. So who makes the best ones out there that would be or high quality and not break or wear out very easily?? Thanks.

Chris

Are you looking for a tomahawk (generally with a pipe- used as a trade and ceremonial object/weapon by Am. Indians) or a period 18th century axe (for utility purposes)?

jbwilliams said:
Are you looking for a tomahawk (generally with a pipe- used as a trade and ceremonial object/weapon by Am. Indians) or a period 18th century axe (for utility purposes)?

Not all "tomahawks" were pipe hawks. Many were made strictly as weapons. I believe the "pipe hawk" came later, as a trade item.
http://tatcalite.tripod.com/id10.htm (scroll down)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the "pipe hawk" came later, as a trade item
Later than when? "Smoak axes" can be documented to the early 18th Century - IIRC 1703 is the earliest reference.

As to who makes good tomahawks and axes - Stuart Willis www.swillisforge.com

Hence the qualifying information (generally w/ a pipe etc.) Some people generically refer to any 18th/early 19th century hatchet, axe, boarding axe etc. as a tomahawk.

An 18th century English boarding axe is certainly not the same thing as a tomahawk, in the historical sense of the word.

Anyhow, I was just trying to find out what the gentleman was looking for. It sounds like you need something more utilitarian. Let us know. I would be hesitant to use an expensive object for something that it’s not intended for (as opposed to using a well-made axe for its intended purpose of chopping).

Thank you for your service, by the way!

Steve Liley here in the forums makes a good tommyhawk. I had one of his, it's a Rogers Ranger's version with an arrowhead spike on the end. There's a couple more guys that make hawks too. JamesG made a downright DEADLY looking hawk head for one of the guys here. Look at the post "Something wicked this way comes" and you'll see what I mean. Aint nobody gonna mess with you while your wearing that thing. :shocked2:

Pioneer Arms is the best I have had. He is in the links. Good quality and balance. Bernie sands behind them. Will last you a life time. Dilly

LaBonte said:
I believe the "pipe hawk" came later, as a trade item
Later than when? "Smoak axes" can be documented to the early 18th Century - IIRC 1703 is the earliest reference.

I stand corrected. I thought they were a little later than that.

I second this recommendation. Very good stuff and made here in the U.S.A. Check out the photos on his website. :thumbsup:

I endorse Bilver Bill's Forging, in Oxford Ohio
I do believe you mean Beaver Bill aka Bill Keeler
his wesbite http://www.beaverbill.com/

Both he and Stuart are excellent tomahawk smiths.....

I stand corrected. I thought they were a little later than that
Carl if youd do a search here for smoak axe you should find the actual citation - IIRC it was Mike R who no longer posts here who cited it and it may have in fact been a bit earlier, but they were definitely widely used in the 18th Century ....

Chris,
For a reasonably, not cheap, priced hawk that will stand up to hard use, and a little abuse, as well as being a good thrower you won't beat either Beaver Bill's Forge or the H&B Forge.
Mark

I would suggest a pole type so that it has more uses, the pole hatchet was used in the 18th century, at least the last quarter, I do not know how early they were available in the colonies,this type will also throw well if one cares to get into competitions.

Sorry. Of course I meant Beaver Bill. When you type as fast as I do, the computer sometimes falls behind and throws a few letters a-kilter.
Back when all we had were typewriters, I was frequently having problems, because all of the typewriters were air-cooled, and my typing was so fast that I needed a liquid cooled machine!

Back on topic, Beaver Bill. I can imagine a battalion of our finest carrying and proficient in use of tomahawks.

Sorry, but for military use, there are better options. There is just no way that you relly want to use a 18th century hawk in modern combat.
Check out RMJ Forge and you will see the difference in design: http://www.rmjforge.com/
Just get one tactical and one historical from beaver bill. You will use your assault rifle, too, instead of a lever action rifle,right?

The best made tomahawks that I have ever seen are the ones that Beaver Bill makes
http://www.beaverbill.com/L&C.htm

They are really too pretty and expensive to throw in competition but they work great around camp and occasional tossing at an offending tree.

Many Klatch

Kyle Willyard at Old Dominion Forge (oldominionforge.com) makes a good poll axe. There is a selection of fancy tomahawks on his site as well. I have only seen his knives and axes. They are first rate.

Try Steve Liley, he`s a member here.I have one of his hawks and he makes a dandy

Steve made this Roger's Rangers tommy for me.

5a05_1.jpg

5c34_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back