• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tomahawks who makes good ones

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmy,
I put a "wicked edge" on that..
I am sending you a new one back with your "fixed Lancaster" as soon as the new lock comes in.
The pics don't do it justice.
If I was serving in Afghanistan.. I wouldn't hesitate to carry an AMERICAN MADE HAWK :thumbsup:
send me a PM and I will see what we can do to get you one at no charge

Mike,
Your just WAY to generous. Thank you VERY much for the tommy. :bow:

Chrisletke, be careful with Mike. As generous a guy as he is, you'll end up with not just a tommyhawk, but a complete weapons system. :shocked2: :wink:

I'm no expert in the area of hawks but my family uses Fort Turner hawks. Very good quality and well made.Also have a few of his throwing knives and other forged camp items and have not one complaint. Well worth the time to check them out.

Shrew Hawk and Trappers Compainion

Hawks-5.jpg

Well, I guess it’s up to you as to whether or not you want something that’s historically accurate or not. Some suggestions are for very functional and reliable tools, but not very correct shapes. That’s fine. It’s up to you. If historical authenticity is of concern for you (which I assumed as you mentioned reenacting), you may want to do some research rather than just buying a good deal. If it’s not of concern, then you’ll be happy either way!

chriskletke said:
... a good tomahawk that I could use for both military purposes and for 18th century reenactment.

I suggest two different tomahawks. I would use nothing less than an all metal hawk for military use (combat).

Copy%20of%20Nov2002%20011_small.jpg

There are a lot of good wooden handle tomahawks for reenacting.

Well , when all is said and done , Fort Turner has hundreds of his Rogers' Rangers Tomahawk with Army Rangers , Special Forces , Army , Navy , Marines & Air Force personnel serving in Iraq & Afghanistan, read his endorsements page by Military personnel, www.fortturner.com , Its also historically correct to 1756. And thats the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamahak said:
Well , when all is said and done , Fort Turner has hundreds of his Rogers' Rangers Tomahawk with Army Rangers , Special Forces , Army , Navy , Marines & Air Force personnel serving in Iraq & Afghanistan, read his endorsements page by Military personnel, www.fortturner.com , Its also historically correct to 1756. And thats the way it is.

Thanks for setting us all straight with your first and only post. :rotf:

A wooden handle in a modern combat environment is a no no. The hawk Claude showed in his picture has a special sheath,too. Very well designed.
The Ranger hawks were not tried out on modern body armour nor is it differently heat treated, like the hawk Claude showed.
The hawks shown at the FT homepage are not really suitable for close quarter combat.Why?
Look what the iroquois and other native american tribes preferred in the F&I war period. These are lighter heads, which are easier to control during a swing.Just look at the difference:
http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm
and a slimmer traditional hawk: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260451050934&_trkparms=tab=Watching

I have a lot of different hawks in the style of the Fortturner one and one of those from butchesforge.
When it would come to fighting the butchesforge would go along. If I would have a rmgforge one, I would take that into any mission....

That “Roger’s Rangers” tomahawk is about as historically accurate as the rubber one I used as a kid. Serviceable, I’m sure, but not an accurate handle or head design. If you’re interested in that aspect of things, please look at photos of original spike tomahawks.

If you’re looking for a weapon, the suggestion from Claude is spot on. That would be great for utility as well.

However, for a utility axe to use for reenacting purposes, there are many out there. As I suggested before, Kyle at Old Dominion Forge makes an excellent and historically accurate small axe/hatchet/belt axe whatever you want to call it. He, as well as many other competent blacksmiths can make something to suit you, but he is only producing one type of axe currently to keep things rolling (that according to his website).

For utility, nothing beats a good poll axe. Not as well suited for modern combat, though our ancestors would have used them in a pinch if they had to.

Claude said:
chriskletke said:
... a good tomahawk that I could use for both military purposes and for 18th century reenactment.

I suggest two different tomahawks. I would use nothing less than an all metal hawk for military use (combat).

Copy%20of%20Nov2002%20011_small.jpg

There are a lot of good wooden handle tomahawks for reenacting.

I would have to second Claude on this. rmj has rock solid combat tomahawks. When I deplyed in '04 I took this V-TAC from American tomahawk. It never failed me from door entry, punching holes in barrels to run cable, and even busting locks.

I separate my reenacting tools from modern combat tools. But as always, YMMV. :wink:

"Thanks for setting us all straight with your first and only post."

I feel better...

I was thinking of having two one with a plastic or fiberglass handle I shaped to look like a wooden one and then a authentic wooden mounted one.

chriskletke,

That sounds like an excellent idea. Is there a particular time period that you’re interested in portraying as far as reenacting is concerned?

chriskletke said:
Dear sirs,

I am in the military and am in the market for a good tomahawk that I could use for both military purposes and for 18th century reenactment. So who makes the best ones out there that would be or high quality and not break or wear out very easily?? Thanks.

Chris

I would have to recommend fortturner.com
I own 2 of them, and I just love them.

I do rev war and french and indian war era mostly for 18th century also dabble with jacobite rebellion and golden age of piracy reenactment as well though

Latest posts

Back