• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too close ones eyes or not too!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarikeen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting my flintlock for a little while now (I really wanted a flintlock!) and have a question as to regards to the eyes reaction to the firing process. I don't have a problem with flinching, because when the pan does not egnite, I'm still on target and my eyes haven't closed. However when the pan flashes I instinctively close my eyes. Is this normal - at least is this to be expected, or should I train myself to see thru the flash (I feel like I'm missing half the fun). I guess I'm used to the focussing and followthrough that comes with .22LR benchrest.
Cheers Peter

Jarikeen said:
However when the pan flashes I instinctively close my eyes. Is this normal - at least is this to be expected,

Let's review what is going on when it flashes, there is a small explosion right beside your face with slivers of burning metal and fragmented shards of razor sharp rock, no wonder we love those flintlocks... :haha:

It is human nature for your body to protect itself, shooting glasses will help put your mind at ease until you get use to it...

I am sure I reacted at first, but now I am not aware of the flash at all. All I see is the target and sights.

Thankyou for your responces, now I know what I should be trying to achieve. I have been using shooting glasses.

Why is flinching a matter to you? When I flinch the shot is long gone. :grin:

IMHO: If you have a fast ignition it cant matter.

Musketman said:
Jarikeen said:
However when the pan flashes I instinctively close my eyes. Is this normal - at least is this to be expected,

Let's review what is going on when it flashes, there is a small explosion right beside your face with slivers of burning metal and fragmented shards of razor sharp rock, no wonder we love those flintlocks... :haha:

It is human nature for your body to protect itself, shooting glasses will help put your mind at ease until you get use to it...

One method I have always recomended to newflinters is to take your rifle out just after dusk and just fire the pan (without a main charge). After dusk, in poor light, the flash will be much more imposing than in normal daylight. By doing this every so often till you start getting accustom to the flash you will not hardly notice the flash in daylight.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Concentrate on the target.

You don't close your eyes when pounding a nail with a hammer or bringing your car to a stop. Same principle. :winking:

I wear glasses, which also helps (as does not having a brimmed hat of a shape that deflects it back on you).

Train yourself to not move anything until the recoil of the rifle knocks you off target. You will overcome the flinch that way.

What do you WANT !

If you are a target shooter and never wear
period clothes , just use some good quality
safety glasses .

If you are a re-enactor , close your eyes
as you start pulling the trigger but before
the spark ignite the pan . Better to do it
intentionnally than to develop a flinch
that will be difficult to get rid of.

Just as in shooting a small bore target gun, you want to concentrate on that front sight as the gun fires, so you see the smoke and flame leave the barrel before recoil lifts the front sight out of alignment with the shot. That is known as

" FOLLOW THROUGH !"

It does take practice. First, start your practice by just dry firing the gun in your home. Look into a mirror so you can see your eyes closing. Learn to ignore the movement of the cock and frizzen, and then the sparks thrown. Wear glasses for this practice. Then move up to flashing a priming charge with each hammer fall. Do it in the dark of night in the back yard, so that you get the maximum " fireworks" effect of the flash in your face. You will not see this much of the flash in daytime shooting. Then, go to blank charges, so you don't have to deal with recoil. The blank charge will send smoke and flame out the barrel, and with no recoil, much of your good habits worked up withe the .22 target rifle will transfer over. Finally, start shooting at the range, using squib, then mild loads, at short yardage, and only after you are ignoring the flash and movement, load up and shoot off the bench, and then off hand at 50 yds and further.

How to focus on that front sight? Its sounds easier than it is. The way to practice this is to make yourself work harder than you will have to work when shooting normally. Here is How to Practice. Instead of looking at the front sight as a whole unit, mentally draw a line down the center of the front sight, and put that centerline on a thin vertical line, post, string, wire, window edge, corner of a building, etc.( anything that gives you a vertical edge to sight the gun on works). Now go ahead and shoot, but concentrate on keeping that centerline on the vertical target.

When I was very young. my father had my brother and me shoot at toothpicks taped to a piece of cardboard, with our .22 rifles, at only 15 feet. Even from a rest, the guns were heavy enough to make this a challenge, but one we could master. Later, when I was teaching myself to shoot long range pistol and revolvers, and those beer cans at 100 yds, were about 1/3 the width of my front sight, I used the same technique to learn to shoot small groups at long range with open sights on a handgun. You can use the same technique to learn to ignore that flash and movement from your flint lock. Best of wishes, and good shooting. I know you will have fun.

Some great responses there, thankyou, some really good information. Looks like I do need to train my eyes open during the pan flash (at least for target work) and focus with follow through. Luckly flinching isn't an issue, I don't suffer from it. I know of the pains of which some archers went through when suffering it.

No ignition has yet been designed that is faster than a flinch, not even in modern guns with firing pin falls measured in the micro seconds.
Sometime the flinch is there, in anticipation, even before the gun fires.

Jarikeen said:
I have been shooting my flintlock for a little while now (I really wanted a flintlock!) and have a question as to regards to the eyes reaction to the firing process. I don't have a problem with flinching, because when the pan does not egnite, I'm still on target and my eyes haven't closed. However when the pan flashes I instinctively close my eyes. Is this normal - at least is this to be expected, or should I train myself to see thru the flash (I feel like I'm missing half the fun). I guess I'm used to the focussing and followthrough that comes with .22LR benchrest.
Cheers Peter

TO SHOOT ACCURATELY YOU KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.... TO PRAY, YOU CLOSE THEM :grin:

Closing your eyes IS the Classic Flinch! You may be thinking of the kind that involves lifting your head off the stock. That usually follows the eye closing as the next most common form of flinch!

Weren't British soldiers ORDERED to close their eyes when they fired? Makes sense to protect your eyes from flying flint fragments.

I'm a bad boy. I don't wear shooting glasses. I use a small pile of FFFFg at the range, an only slightly bigger pile of FFFg hunting and have yet to get anything in my eyes. It may happen one day, but not yet. As far as closing your eyes, that eliminates any possibility of a good follow through. You gotta see that front sight to say you followed the shot.

A redcoat stood online in his expensive uniform, spit shined boots, and polished brass along with hundreds of his comrades in what was meant to be a dramatic show of awesome might. His formation launched an incredible rolling barrage of lead in the general direction of his enemy. Precision wasn't even considered. The lock on a bess is oversized and ruggedly "Soldier-proof". It also can burn enough priming powder to fire five .31 target pistol shots! :shocked2: He was well advised to close his eyes when firing.

WRussell said:
Weren't British soldiers ORDERED to close their eyes when they fired? Makes sense to protect your eyes from flying flint fragments.

The short answer is NO! :grin: Modern military reenactors sometimes recommend this but it was not a part of British regulations. The manual we use says "Take aim by looking along the barrel."

Latest posts

Back