• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took the Plunge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, last night I ordered a Pedesoli Blue Ridge in flintlock. Got a gift certificate from Cabela's in the mail (cause I'm such a good customer and spend SO much money there) for $100 off and couldn't resist. Should be here for next weekend. Questions:
1. Anyone know if it comes with a flint?
2. What size flint does it take?
3. Where do ya'll buy flints.
4. Bevel up or bevel down? :hmm:

Got to shoot a FL today at the range. Laughed out loud after the shot. The owner put, what looked to me WAY too much powder in the pan. (After what I've read here).

Got to shoot a Pedesoli Blue Ridge in percussion today. Sweet, sweet. What a great day!

Steve

I can't be much help with your first two questions. As for where I buy flints, I got my last batch from Track of the Wolf. I buy the English flints. They are cheap enough that I usually buy at least 10. I've used the cut flints too but they never seemed to work as well for me. Others will claim the opposite.

Bevel up or down is a question that has probably been debated as long as flintlocks have been around. I usually start off with the bevel up. When the flint stops sparking well I'll flip it over snap a few dry-fires that way to re-knap the flint before turning it back over. This often works. If it doesn't I go to more aggressive knapping using a brass rod. When the flint gets to be just plain not reliable, I chuck it and install a fresh one.

Flinters are a ball to shoot. Try to not have too much fun!

Storm

cabelas in Ft Worth carries the knapped flints for this gun - 2 to a pkg I think.

1. Anyone know if it comes with a flint?
2. What size flint does it take?
3. Where do ya'll buy flints.
4. Bevel up or bevel down?

1. mine did
2.7/8 inch
3. Dixie and Track of the Wolf
4. up, but down works too

What caliber did you get?

Thanks for the info FH. I got (will get) the .45.
My perc, also 45, shoots with 60gns Pyro RS and a .018 patch. I'll be shooting Goex 3f so I assume it'll be 50gns. What patch thickness do you use? I'm using .440 RBs.
Steve

BTW do you like yours? :haha:

I buy flints from Track of the Wolf. Their English flints work really well in my Austin & Halleck. It seems like they're always out of the size I need though, and I end up using a flint that's too long. Eh, it works.

Bevel up or down? Whatever works best in your gun. I don't think there is a particular way to place it. I just turn mine over when it starts giving less spark. I get a few more shots out of it that way, before I ruin...err, I mean *attempt to knap* it.

This gun takes a 7/8" flint. for starters, they'll send you the gun with a lead-wrapped flint in the cock. When I received mine, it came with an extremely efficient rock that was beveled on both sides- you could flip it over after you wore out one side. I had good ignition with bevel both up and down. Unfortunately, I lost this flint in the field after a week.... Then Track of the Wolf supplied me.

Enjoy!

Make sure and post pics when you get it!!! And congratulations on your first flintlock!

slt1691 said:
Thanks for the info FH. I got (will get) the .45.
My perc, also 45, shoots with 60gns Pyro RS and a .018 patch. I'll be shooting Goex 3f so I assume it'll be 50gns. What patch thickness do you use? I'm using .440 RBs.
Steve

BTW do you like yours? :haha:

Mine is 45 cal too. I've used 50 gr. Goex 3f, .445 balls, and .010 parches lubed with Crisco with good results taking several deer. I just did a Taguchi Design of Experiments and found that I get a tighter group with 60 gr. 3f, .440 balls, and .014 patches lubed with Stumpy's Moose Snot. I like the Blue Ridge/Frontier rifle from Pedersoli. I bought mine back when they were much more reasonably priced.

ya I jumped on the bandwaggon and ordered one also, I got mine in 36 caliber since I already have one in 50 cal. They said that the guns were in stock but it will still take a week to ship them, thats going to be a long week I hate to wait for anything especially a toy.

I just received an email from Cabales. My 45 was shipped yesterday to the Ft Worth store and should be there today. I think I'll hit the boss for a couple of hours off Fri. to go get it (traffic is just terrible - it will take a couple of hours). Now all I need do is figure out how to tell my wife. :(

1. Anyone know if it comes with a flint?When I got my Pedesoli Penn from DGW it did not have a flint, a little to my suprise.
2. What size flint does it take? My Penn uses a 5/8"
3. Where do ya'll buy flints.TOTW and some of the forum posters.
4. Bevel up or bevel down. Pedesoli recomends bevel up, but either may work. Pedesoli also sent me a new cock, flint wrapped in leather, bevel up.
Have fun!!

cmyoung said:
2. What size flint does it take? My Penn uses a 5/8".
4. Bevel up or bevel down. Pedesoli recomends bevel up, but either may work. Pedesoli also sent me a new cock, flint wrapped in leather, bevel up.
Have fun!!

My Kentucky has the same lock as your Pennsylvania and does take a 5/8" flint, usually bevel-up. But the Frontier/Blue Ridge is completely different and has a MUCH more substantial lock. Mine takes a 7/8"(x1") flint, though I have used long 3/4" ones and a couple of smallish 1" musket flints, too.

Joel

Congradulations on your new toy! :thumbsup: Got mine while I was home in .50 cal. I dont know if the gun comes with a flint, mine did but I bought the rifle kit so it came with extras. One word of caution, buy some from TOTW 3/4 or 7/8. The ones cabelas sent dont last long. But the gun is beautiful and shots great. One of my buds was amazed at how fast the ignition was. So hopefully he'll be making his first purchase soon as well. Good luck and happy hunting!!! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back