• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools in the field ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning jag, ball puller, patch worm, screwdriver, small bar to tighten the jaws for the flint. All go in my possibles bag with the rest of my supplies.

just the tool to remove my nipple. The cleaning stuff and tools stay at camp.

nipple tool goes into my possibles bag.

Nipple tool with in built screw driver home made.

Ball/patch/wad worm that fits to the rod home made.

Although! Screwing a ball with a wooden rammer can be risky.

Brits.

Always;
Jag
Patch worm
A few cleaning patches

Patent breech gun;
Brush that fits patent breech area

Caplock;
Nipple wrench/pick combo tool
Spare nipple
Capper

Flinter;
Rod to tighten jaws
Spare flint & leather
Touch-hole pick

Ball puller, tow worm and cleaning jag in my patchbox. Also a spare cleaning jag in my shooting bag.

In a tool roll in the bag are two screwdrivers, a small Ted Cash oil bottle, a vent pick and a flint knapping tool. (And five spare flints, 12 cotton cleaning patches and a strip of leather for wrapping the flint or getting a grip on a reluctant rammer).

Cleaning / seating jag with nylon muzzle guide in a pants pocket...the items listed below are carried in a small pocket of an upland game vest that I use as an overall hunting equipment vest for all hunting items like food, water, raingear, hat, gloves, flashlight, etc, etc...the spare items are:

A few PRB reloads
Short Starter
Spare cleaning/seating jag
Ball puller and Patch retriever
Spare vent liner and allen wrench
Spare flints and leathers
Pan brush and jaw screw bar
Pan primer
T-handle
1oz bottle TC#13

Plus a few pint size Ziploc bags holding what I call Field Cleaning Kits containing:

5 wet cleaning patches in 2”x3” ziploc
5 Dry patches (loose)
1 Lubed patch in 2” x 3” Ziploc
1 sealed foil wrap alcohol wipe
1 Q-tip
1 Pipe cleaner
1 Muzzle mitt

After a shot, I completely clean / dry / lube the bore and lock before reloading then stuff all the dirty mess back into the ziploc and carry it all back out to drop in a trash can...zero litter.

Rpundball you are just to organized!!! :surrender:
Thanks for the info. it sure helps to have enough field experience to help the rest of the guys here on the forum. We can all continue to learn from our peers. :bow:
Dusty :wink:

I've always been fergetful, and it gets worse each year. I've finally resorted to a separate bag for each rifle, and part of that system is a set of tools that lives in the bag. My list isn't much different than others here, but I've resorted to making little "wallets" for them much like flint wallets. Depending on the bag, they either go in a little side pocket or float around loose. One thing I like about a small flat wallet, it migrates down to the bottom of the bag and lays flat, where it's out of the way till I need it.

Dusty Bob said:
organized

Not many things I hate worse than slipping into a place before dark I plan to deer hunt, then as the light starts to come up I see litter scattered around in the otherwsie pristine setting...these are simple to put together and use:

FieldCleaningKits1000pix.jpg

Back