• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcasmn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on some basic tools or chisel sets for a rifle build? Looking at one of the larson kits from Midway

If you use the search function you will find many post regarding tools.

If those Larson tools from Midway is there inletting chisel set, they do not appear to be of good quality and the price also reflects this. For quality carving tools you will likely spend almost that much for each tool new.

Enjoy, J.D.

Sets are a marketing gimmik. Invariably you will get several items in a set you will never use. Check out wood carvers supply houses and buy only the couple you will need to start with. Get good quality. Then buy as you discover your needs and talents growing.
A caveat: Inexpensive chisles and carving tools can be attractive because of price. But, I have found that often the lower price tools have very short tangs. This means that with pressure they can break through the handle while in use. This has the potential to be very dangerous. Understand tang length before you buy anything. Since this is an invisible situation it often is not considered by the first time buyer. I inherited a large quantity of El Cheapo carving tools and chisles and trashed the entire lot. I wouldn't even resell.

Like J.D. said, save your money on those cheap sets. You have to have razor sharp chisels and gouges. I wasted a lot of money, time, and wood on cheap gouges. You won't believe the difference.

TOW carries some German chisels and a 2 sizes of gouges which are good but less $$$ than the Swiss.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=chisels

Their shallow gouges are about a #4 and their deep gouges are about a #9. I would suggest starting off with a few of these and then adding additional gouges as needed later.

For a complete line, look at the Swiss ones by pfeil at someplace like Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=pfeil gouges

Although you didn't mention it, you also need a good sharpening system. After trying several different methods with limited success, I finally broke down and bought a Work Sharp 3000 and couldn't be happier.

The quality of my work, as well as the enjoyment, has improved tremendously when I finally started using really sharp chisels and gouges.

Besides, now when I cut myself, I don't even feel it. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a box of dirty rust coated chisels from a estate sale and a shinny new :v set from a garage sale, guess which were best

My two favorite chisels belonged to my grandfather, but spending a year or two trying to get lucky at an estate auction wouldn't be my first suggestion.

I bought 2 straight chisels and 2 gouges made by Pfeil. That cost me $166. That is all I have used so far in building my GPR. I had several “sets” of chisels I bought over the years. After I used the Pfeil chisels the first time, I literally turned around grabbed the other chisels and through them in the garbage. Buy what you need now and add as the complexity of your projects grows.

Ok I am guessing I did not explain myself too well. I have a Lyman GPR kit. I have no experience with wood or steel.

I am trying to figure out what tools I need. Maybe a couple of good straight files say 1/2 inch and 1/8 inch, a couple of gouges not sure what size.

Some kind of wood files and a rasp? Some kind of draw? file for the barrel? A 12 or 14?

I saw the files on TOW but they have no handles. Do they need a handle?

Latest posts

Back