• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Top things to do AFTER you shot the deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the top things that are most important in your opinion to do AFTER making a shot on a deer?

1. Before moving get a lock on where the deer was standing when you shot.

2. Reload!

3. Mark the blood as you go by on the SIDE of the blood trail, don't walk over top of it.

4. Trail quietly and watch for the deer, unless weather conditions do not permit.

5. If you lose the trail, stop and take a few min to get your composure. Pray! <--That is what I do!! Make circles when you start again, but always mark the last place you had blood.

I put down RELOAD as I have had 2 buddies shoot deer in the last few years to see the buck hit the dirt at their shot. They figured it was dead and took their time getting stuff together and following up, only to see the deer get up and run off. If they would have reloaded, a follow-up shot would have been possible in both cases.

What about you? What do YOU do that you think is important in recovering the deer?

I believe step 1 and 2 are right but step 3 should be To do those very quietly and wait 15-30 min and give em time to die without pushing him unless you can see him down! :imo: :m2c:

If the deer is laying there, RELOAD, if he's moved off then I would say get a lock on where he was. Before you move to chk where he was, mark where you were standing(sitting or whatever) with your hat, orange tape Etc. This reference will be handy. The rest is very good advice and in good order.

I was always told this.
Approaching a downed deer. If the eyes are open and its down its dead. Eyes closed it might come up.
Now in the real world everything is a toss up but it does seem to be true.

Personally I always reloaded first, then went to check for sign where it was standing when shot, then sit back and enjoy a pipe to steady the nerves (even though I have been hunting deer for about 20 years I still get all jitterey when I have one come in and even moreso after I put a shot into one) then get up and go find Bambi.

Reloading is first on my list.I do so while keeping my eyes on where he last was seen.
After finding a downed deer there's this little Fist-pumping dance I do all the while with a big grin on my chops :: :redthumb:

If a good hit, I sit there, smile, relax, take it all in, have a smoke, smile some more, take it all in some more.
When I'm all done with feeling the excitement of the shot, I get up and go to my downed deer. Then I spend some time admiring the beautiful animal and relive the events again before going to work on gutting and dragging. I don't rush the aftershot events because that is the moment I've worked for and I want to make it last and remember it.
Life goes by pretty fast, if you don't look around, you could miss it.

Reload and give the animal time to lay down if they ran. About 20-30 minutes and then I'll start tracking.
Fortunately and with good luck, mine don't ususally run very far or at all to where I cannot see them. So I keep a eye on them as I'm reloading.

If I need to track then I'll mark the bood trail periodically with twigs pushed in the ground or snow so I can fall back to a reference point if needed and keep tracking until the anmial is found.

Then I field dress as quickly a possible to preserve the meat and as carefully as I can to avoid spoilage.

Then, as quick as I can drag to the truck and then off to the pole barn for hanging and skinning.

7-10 days later - butchering.

Then feast. :thumbsup:

Give thanks for the opportunity and say a little prayer for a speedy demise if it made off.

Scuff up your spot and pick out landmarks where the deer stood so you can retrace the shot in looking for sign of a hit.

Reload.

Pace off to the impact spot to affirm your distance estimate.

Look for sign of a hit and mark the spot (a bit of TP or bright yarn).

Eat a candy bar or munch some pemmican (you'll need the pick-me-up for the upcoming drag).

Trail that deer. :redthumb:

Keep off the scuff/blood trail proper and mark it occasionally with little pieces of TP/yarn. If it's spotty, mark every drop. I also drag a 25 ft rope on light bloodtrails to help me visualize the direction trend. If I lose the trail I drop the rope and search in a fan until I find sign, then bring the rope up. This helps in very thick cover (where I usually hunt).

Don't forget to give thanks for success once you've found the body.

Take off your outer jacket, dig out your canteen and lay out your cleaning kit BEFORE you start cutting. Less mess than digging around in your gear with bloody hands. :winking:

Nodays I'll kick myself for makin' all that work. I really have had my share, and never did enjoy the butcherin' part. :no:

I rather enjoy buthering. It's not really that difficult once you get the hang of it and I know exactly what I'm keeping and what I'm not.
I have not used commercial butchers for over 20 years. I am not comfortable with my game being mixed in an environment with other deer that were likely not as well cared for as mine.

Always put your knife in the sheath before leaving the area.
Don't know where I come up with that suggestion?

Tahquamenon

I'm with you. I butcher my own and have for many years. I also make all my own speciality meats such as sausage and salami. Believe me, the deer you take to the processing plant might not be the deer you get back. I spend too much time and care making sure the venison I eat is cared for. I do not want someone else's old dirt packed swamp buck.

the only thing i can add that i always do is to thank the spirit of the deer for giving up his meat for my table.i learned this a long time ago from my grand father and it seemed the right thing to do.
a commercial butcher has never seen one ounce of any meat i harvested .not that i dont trust my local butcher ...its just that i cant see any reason to pay somebody to do what i can do myself

I also drag a 25 ft rope on light bloodtrails to help me visualize the direction trend. If I lose the trail I drop the rope and search in a fan until I find sign, then bring the rope up. This helps in very thick cover (where I usually hunt).

Thanks for that one. :applause: I never thought of that. :hmm:
:peace:

BobW

I butcher any deer I might get, my neighbor's, and in exchange for a hunting site, the guy I hunt on. I also do my bro-in-law's and nephew's. It can turn into some long nights , but I enjoy it and it saves $. :thumbsup:

I also butcher may own deer you know what you are getting. Plus when you kill 4 or 5 deer a yr it can get to be an expense. It only take a second to kill but the work begin than.

Back