• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

torque setting for percussion pistol nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst on the subject of nipples, there are sockets that are made for square nuts and one of these would be handy for nipples that require a square wrench.
A quick Google revealed some as small as 5mm and there are likely other small sizes, only trouble is that they come In sets.
Truth is I haven't ever thought any more about torque measuring a nipple than I would an assembly screw in a rifle or revolver.

Torque spec on nipples.....OMG :doh:
not that far a stretch....

seen lesser master debated on here.

.015 or .018 pillow ticking?????

grease, patch grease, etc.

the list goes on.

my point was.......haven't seen it discussed. no more irrelevant than the above mentioned subjects or topics.

camo

Don't forget to use Anti-Seize on the threads.
I think Anti-seize a pretty good idea but all I have ever used is gun oil on nipple threads and never have had a lick of trouble in removal or insertion. I think it probably more necessary with breech plug threads than nipples. I've always been more concerned with corrosion locking up threads than fouling migration though in either situation.

Last edited:
Very true !
Believe it or not, I carry a fairly large inverter to hook to my battery along with a half inch drive black and Decker impact wrench, and of course the appropriate sockets because I don't think I could get lug nuts off anymore myself. This only applies to my pick up, I don't take my car to such places.

80 Foot Pounds, I just had to LOL…..
I would think if the nipple wrench would hold that load one would wind up with a bunch of broken off stubs where there once was whole nipples. Boy, what a carbide drill ,easy-out and probably torch heat job to redeem that cylinder ! Only thing I hate worse is cleaning up a nipple cross thread mess.

Good God : Finally , we're still talking about the torque of a percussion nipple !

Cover it with some copper , zinc or whatssoever compound for easening unscrewing , tighten it as firm as You can by hand , SHOOT IT , and after shooting , unscrew the nipple , clean it and the entire barrel as usual , reassemble and preserve with some good oil , the threads of the nipple covered with some mentioned compound !

( For decades , for preserving my barrels , I've used simple motor oil )

And be prepared for the next use ( after having wiped out Your barrel ) .

Be aware : nippels are some consumables !

Only to come back to the entry thread and

only my 2 cts

Believe it or not, I carry a fairly large inverter to hook to my battery along with a half inch drive black and Decker impact wrench, and of course the appropriate sockets because I don't think I could get lug nuts off anymore myself. This only applies to my pick up, I don't take my car to such places.

I carry a breaker bar with the correct socket in the car, speaking of which, yep, it has a screw in the tire the other day.

The pickup? Nothing gets through those tires, granted its a 1 ton and has 16.5 inch tires.

I gave up putting anything on the threads. I have them on and off so often I decided to see how they did like the old days (no grease in front and none on the threads)

No issues. Come off just fine. Might not if they stayed on a long time but that ain't happening.

The 76 ASP I pulled the cones on when I got interested in shooting it, no issue there either (though I was not happy with the Cone Wrench until I got the Slix Springs one and that is perfect)

No offense OP but in 52 years of percussion revolver shooting, torqueing the nipples has never even came to mind. Screw em in until tight and then give them a little extra squeeze. Have never had a single one back out when shooting or found one so when taking out for cleaning. Back in the early days used to apply a dab of oil, then used a dab of grease, can't say when I started using a small amount of anti-seize to them. Doesn't take much.

Latest posts

Back