• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobznew

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased and built any of the flint kits available on Track of the Wolf? Not the ones that are someone else's brand; I'm talking about the ones that are Track of the Wolf's kits. Just curious as to the quality of these builds. I've not built a gun yet, but am looking forward to doing that someday soon hopefully.

Not TOTW, but some of the guys on here have stated that TOTW gets their stocks from Pectonica River. If so, the getting the stocks through PR is a little cheaper.

Sometimes it is cheaper. Call Dick Greensides at Pecatonica for a quote. He takes very good care of his customers.

IMHO, I would get it from anyone except TOW. I have had too many backorders & screwups with them to use them any more... :shake: Others like them...

A Chambers parts set is a much better parts set, all the parts hand selected, all the stocks hand selected. Yes they cost a lil more, but you get what you pay for. The Chambers family are also Great people to deal with. :thumbsup:

FYI, Pecatonica doesn't cut their own stocks, they send them out to a stock duplicator that uses their pattern.

My TOTW kit arrived this week. A CM4 grade curly maple stock, C weight 54 cal swamped Colerian barrel, L&R early flint. All accessories in steel. Kit cost delivered over $800.00. I was surprised at the amount of work the stock will take for inletting the lock. Their advertising makes you think the lock will just drop in. AIN'T SO! Overall I'm very satisfied with it. I've bought a Sitting Fox kit, and I can tell you the quality of the components from TOTW are far better. Oh yeah, the Colerian barrel finish out of the box ain't as all bad as some people here have said. Your gonna pay a premium dollar anyway you go.

I don't know why ANY of the ML venders call them "KITS". They are parts sets........ Now a Lyman, CVA, T/C 's, etc. were/are kits. You file/rasp the parts, file them, put them together...... 16 hrs + - later you are done with it.....

But for the rest of them to call them "kits", to me is very misleading. :shake: They should call the a "Rifle Builders Parts Set".

Some years ago because of a mislocated lock inlet on a "Hawken" precarve, I paid them a visit and they made good w/ an upgraded stock which is on my elk rifle. Unless things have changed, I observed them profiling blanks in their shop.....Fred

Never bought one myself, but I have bought plenty of parts, tools and such through TOW. I have also seen, at least 3 of their parts kits in finished form. 2 by competent gunmakers and 1 by an Amatuer. The 2 finished by the gunmakers were fantastic looking rifles. The amatuer did a respectable job on his with the exception of inletting the lock. I put together a Chambers for my first gun and theirs require much inletting as well. Seeing the 2 put together by the gunmakers I wouldn't have any issue buying one of their products.

Possibly I misunderstood them or they me. I asked them about profiling a stock for me when at Friendship & the guy told me he would send the blank out & have it back in about 3-4 weeks. :confused:

Really doesn't matter I guess, as long as you get what you want for the price ya want to pay. :wink:

I was at Pecatonica River about three years ago, when the whole crew was at Friendship, I think it was. Except for the guy running the spindle duplicating machine, cutting 6-8-10-12 (?) stocks at one time.

Birdog,

Mine isn't a "kit". I used a Bivins kit as the base, and changed most everything to get the rifle I want.

Back