• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW Mink Oil. Any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered a can of this patch lube in my last order from TrackoftheWolf. I have never used it. Those who have tried it, what do you think of it? Also, is it a good cold-weather lube? Thanks!

I never have used mink oil , but I read diss post and got thinking , what about the mink oil you can get at walmart for your shoes, would dat work ? , and probly its a lot cheaper to .

grizzy adams said:
I never have used mink oil , but I read diss post and got thinking , what about the mink oil you can get at walmart for your shoes, would dat work ? , and probly its a lot cheaper to .
First off it's all I use for hunting patches. With regards to the shoe store mink-oil make sure it's pure and not mixed with anything else. TOTW's mink-oil is pure, and to be honest a container lasts a looooooooong time.

I have to say that it has been working well for me
with prb, but I find that is better to run a wet swab after 5 shots, also works good in my 1-28 twist with conicals. I also reload for cartridge guns,(gasp) and it is the best durn case sizing lube I have ever used and very little goes a long way. For a hunting load I would reccomend a dry felt wad over the powder and then a greased prb.
I had some in the freezer overnight and it didn't change much.

I use it and it’s good stuff.

Don’t use the cheap stuff from the store. It contains silicon. You don’t want to be using that. In the least, I would be very wary and make absolutely sure. I’ve found that in the long term, the cheap stuff really isn’t that great even on shoes.

Pure mink oil has worked very well for me.

I hunt in the U.P. of Michigan and it gets pretty cold sometimes,like single digits, it works well for me.

my experience is that it depends. ive had rifles that love it, and rifles that hate it. best thing to do is try it and see.

It's very accurate!
I heat it to a liquid, soak my patch material in it, strip the excess off with a terry cloth towel and get MOA at 50 and 100 yrds.
I have switched to a elk tallow, Marmot oil mix just cuz, but would have no problem going back to it.
:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back