• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

touch hole on my t/c hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On my t/c hawken my touch hole is'nt centered in the pan and it's also sits high. If you look at it from the lock side it sits high and to the left. :hmm: other guns of mine the touch holes are just of the bottom of the pan and centered? is this the way they are now on t/c guns or is mine screwed up, i have never shot the barrel yet, i mite be sending it back to t/c if this is the case.

I never really looked at mine that closely, but I checked my T/C Hawken flinter after reading your post. The touch hole is to the left of center of the pan. I get great ignition with this flinter, and can't complain at all. Goex FFFG in the pan, and the main charge.

Shoot it first. I always put my touch hole center of the top of the pan. The reason behind this is so that the priming charge does not have to burn though to get to the charge (quicker ignition). A little left may not be a problem at all. :thumbsup:

You are right the touch hole is misaligned, this likely came about because T/C makes their barrels at one shop and their stock carving at another facility.
If the alignment isn't off too far you might be able to remedy the problem by installing an Uncle Mike's replacement liner, they install with an allen wrench instead of a flat screwdriver and the wrench cavity may funnel the pan flash into the opening.
Otherwise the lock will have to be re-inlet.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

brad said:
On my t/c hawken my touch hole is'nt centered in the pan and it's also sits high. If you look at it from the lock side it sits high and to the left. :hmm: other guns of mine the touch holes are just of the bottom of the pan and centered? is this the way they are now on t/c guns or is mine screwed up, i have never shot the barrel yet, i mite be sending it back to t/c if this is the case.

When I questioned TC about that very thing a few years ago, they told me they're intentionally designing them in that direction...flame goes up...and flame kicks back off the bottom of the opening frizzen, etc.

I have no idea if what they told me is true but it seems plausible...and I do have some TC Hawkens exactly as you described and the ignition speed on them is like lightning...a single event when the hammer drops...on many of them the vent is high enough that I can remove the liner with the lock still in place

Cheap flintlocks frequently have misdrilled touch holes. It will probably still shoot.

brad said:
On my t/c hawken my touch hole is'nt centered in the pan and it's also sits high. If you look at it from the lock side it sits high and to the left. .

Brad,
Can't remember about other T/C's I've owned but the PA Hunter I have today has this same problem. I have always heard that the touch hole should be centered on the pan and a little high.

Mine sits to the front of the pan (closer to the frizzen) and is not high. This is almost the opposite of yours, so if T/C is trying to put the vent in one place or another one of us got a reject. I'm betting the reject is mine - you should shoot yours before you make a judgement.
As T/C's go, mine seems to ignite better than most I've owned or seen but only for a few shots.

After 2 or 3 shots, depending on the humidity, the gun not only becomes hard to load but ignition becomes slow and unreliable. Even after swabbing the bore, ignition remains inconsistent until I thoroughly clean the gun.

I installed the new vent liner years ago with only slight improvement. I compensate by picking the vent after loading every shot after the first few. The gun is acceptable for hunting because I rarely fire more than once or twice but it is no fun at the range and has turned me away from T/C.

One day, I'll send the whole mess back to Rochester and give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Finnwolf

boy thanks for all the help, i think i will give it a try first :thumbsup: , i'll let ya know how it goes.

I have noticed similar results with my T/C flintlock with the new style vent liner. It seems that fouling builds up in the allen wrench recess in the face of the liner and slows ignition even though I pick the vent after each shot. I carry a few q-tips in my range box and clean the recess every 3-4 shots. This seems to keep the ignition time more consistent.

Back