• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

touchhole liners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know how long removeable touchhole liners have been used, or when they were first used? Just curious.

Thanks.

SJoe said:
Does anyone know how long removeable touchhole liners have been used, or when they were first used? Just curious.

Thanks.
I've seen references to liners going way back made out of various metals...wish I had saved them as I don't recall dates...somebody will chime in

SJoe said:
Thanks.
This link is an NMLRA Muzzleblast article...scroll down to the section about liners for this excerpt:

“”¦In later American and European guns, before alloys and stainless steel, touch holes and nipples were lined with gold or platinum. Even though these metals are soft, they have a very high melting point and are very erosion resistant. No one makes gold or platinum lined nipples or vent liners anymore”¦”
[url] http://images.google.com/imgr...hole+liners%22&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=G[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Mr. Brooks, removeable vent liners are a modern idea. Original American made rifles and fowlers did not use vent liners. Some high end English and European builders did use vent liners, but not the removeable kind with a screw slot.

Randy Hedden

I guess the interpretation of the words 'removeable vent liner' is important.

There were vents drilled straight through breech plugs.

Then there were vent liners that could be installed, which could indeed later be removed & replaced as they wore out.

Then there are the modern stainless steel vent liners that are "easily removable with a common screwdriver or allen wrench"...these have come on the scene during the past few decades

Mike Brooks said:
Probably the early 1970's

If we wanted to push that date back as early as we possibly can, we could maybe go back to late 1960's. But I doubt it.

SJoe said:

Thanks.

Vent liners have been around for a LONG time. "Bushing" vents is a very old process and was surely done on guns in America for as long as there have been gunsmiths here.
A removable vent is viable in theory but a bad idea in practice. I know they were available in the late 1960s.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
SJoe said:

Thanks.

Vent liners have been around for a LONG time. "Bushing" vents is a very old process and was surely done on guns in America for as long as there have been gunsmiths here.
A removable vent is viable in theory but a bad idea in practice. I know they were available in the late 1960s.

Dan

We know about bushed touch holes in the 18th c. We are questioning the touch hole liners that have a screw slot in them previous to the 1960's. I don't think any original guns had the screw in and screw out type.

Cooner54 said:
We are questioning the touch hole liners that have a screw slot in them previous to the 1960's.
I guess that's the point I have a problem with...and keep trying to get clarified...he makes no mention of modern vent liners with screwdriver slots in his question.

Boy, oh, boy! I can see the hair splitting to come now, with the H/C folks. You have a replica of an 18th century flintlock, but are using a screw in vent liner? OUT YOU GO! You can't play our games with us! :youcrazy: :surrender: :hatsoff:

...I bought some Beryllium vent liners from Bauchamp... they are reported to last a long time...
Bob

...not as long as the depleted uranium ones, and the uranium ones really can channel a spark...

I agree, all the argument over PC and HC is BS. Because I do not shoot a PRB out my ML I an not HC/PC. Like a Civil War reactor arguing over the uniform of another person, then the HC Nazi sleeps in a hard shell camper with air/heat. :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:
Some people can take the fun out of any situation.

Who's taking any fun out of what situation???

SJoe said he was "Just curious".

Use what you like.

My flinter has a screw in breech but I wouldn't say it's a "removable breech". Same with the vent liner. Mine was installed and shall remain as such until a repair is needed, if ever. You have to look carefully to see it's even there as it was filed flush with the barrel flat.

Generally, the eye stumbles over something before it gets to the vent liner in viewing a muzzleloader for adherance to historical authenticity. ;-) Also known as: "A-HA"

:rotf: :rotf:

Gee-- the guy asks about screw in liners and is treated to a rant about HC/PC. Somebody's sure got a chip on their shoulder. Talk about sucking the fun out.....

Rod

Rod L said:
Gee-- the guy asks about screw in liners and is treated to a rant about HC/PC. Somebody's sure got a chip on their shoulder. Talk about sucking the fun out.....

Rod
Yeah, really.... :shake:

smokeblower said:
I agree, all the argument over PC and HC is BS. Because I do not shoot a PRB out my ML I an not HC/PC. Like a Civil War reactor arguing over the uniform of another person, then the HC Nazi sleeps in a hard shell camper with air/heat. :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:
Some people can take the fun out of any situation.
Some people make a great effort to take the fun out of re-enacting and the use of historically correct firearms and equipment. You, sir, are obviously one of them--hurling inflammatory words when none are needed. If, as is often said, ignorance is bliss, then you must be a very happy man indeed!

I must be one of the blissfully ignorant cause I don't see any rants on this thread about HC or PC. Just historical comments. :hmm: I musta missed sumpin'.

Education is painful for some. :rotf:

Back