• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW- Antique formula Oil Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, there is nothing really "wrong" with linseed oil.

It does have its weaknesses though.

First off, without dryers added to it, it takes almost forever to dry.
It also is not very waterproof so if a gun is finished with it and raindrops get on the surface they can leave marks.

If the gun is finished with a very plain non shiny surface the spots will be hard to see but if many coats of linseed are used and buffed to a nice shine the spots will be very obvious.

On the plus side, a stock finished to a somewhat dull shine with linseed oil is very easy to fix if it gets scratched or water spotted while some of the harder, faster drying finishes are quite difficult to repair.

Kentuckywindage said:
This stuff soaks right in right away. Ive never had a anything soak up so fast. I think i have 4 coats on my test area before it started to take some shine to it. Cant wait to try this stuff out on the real deal.

Soaks in faster than an in-law? :haha:

ok, this stuff is awesome! :bow:

I only have 2 coats on the forearm of the stock and its just..... You want to take a bite out of the stock. I'll keep you all up to date as i go along with the coats.

I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm like you, I don't much care for Tru-Oil either. It's ok on modern stocks, but I just don't like the look and feel on muzzleloaders. Sounds like you found a real winner.

Plink said:
I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm like you, I don't much care for Tru-Oil either. It's ok on modern stocks, but I just don't like the look and feel on muzzleloaders. Sounds like you found a real winner.

Its just so.... Antique looking! The areas that were high lighted by the stain, now turned an ember color. I regret getting in a rush and using tru-oil on my .58 :doh:

I'll post pics as soon as i get this where i want it.

This is only 2 coats of OOF but i can feel it getting smooth already. Also i have 6 coats of birchwood casey rusty walnut. If i would have known how dark the oil was going to make it i would have only used 4 coats Rusty walnut. But i love dark wood!
Picture599.jpg

That looks like a Kentucky rifle, I just stained mine using a rosewood colored oil, now I need to finish it, but I was going to use B.L.O. should I go another route?

i honestly would go over to track of the wolf and order a bottle of this stuff. Its much better than BLO as it dries within a couple hours.

The stain is too dark and too RED for my taste, but to each his own! I don't see RED wood that color in the woods, and it just does not look natural to me on a gunstock.

well neither is a shiney finish :wink:

The picture is much redder than in person. My camera sucks in poor light.

There are lots of ways to dull down a glossy finish. You can't fix RED without sanding down the stock and staining all over again. The same goes for black.

Its your gun. The nice part about building these guns is that if you don't like the finish in a year or two, you can always strip it down( acetone works wonders) and do it over again. That is how we all learn.

I sure like the way it's looking, can't wait to see the finished product. I agree with you completely about rejecting the "crappy stuff" and for the same reasons.

the OOF darkens the stain atleast 2 coats worth of bc rusty walnut. BUT! the harder you rub the stock, the glossier the finish gets and it starts to smooth out a lot more. The stock never got touched with anything finer than 80 grit sand paper until i had 4 coats of OOF on, then i used some 400 grit with OOF smeared on and lightly buffed the stock. Wiped off and then rubbed the stock down for a good 10 minutes, Going against the grain.
Picture605.jpg

Picture607.jpg

Picture608.jpg

Latest posts

Back