• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf....hmm...I dunno...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomcurt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me....I emailed them with a question about butt plates...they replied quickly...THEN...another email saying I should get/buy thier catalog (I was planning on doing that but...) at the end, This Ripplinger guy puts a one-liner in that says "send a nice order". Hmmm..pushy, say what? AND THEN, I get a snail mail letter advising me of the same thing and AGAIN that one-liner..."send a nice order". Now hold on there fella....This is going too damm far imo. Fact Is...I have just about made up my mind never to buy, ask, call, or do anything with that outfit. Least not while that jackass is there. I don't mind someone sending me literature selling thier goods...but this attitude...who the damm hell do they think they are...there are plenty other outfits out there....I sure don't need them.

This Ripplinger guy puts a one-liner in that says "send a nice order".

oomcurt,
I have never experienced this problem
with TOW. I would urge you to contact them by phone
and talk to someone other than (ripplinger) and express
your concerns. If you do not get any satisfaction then
i suggest the Log Cabin Shoppe. Sometimes i think they
would rather answer ??? than sell something. :imo:
snake-eyes :hmm: :results: :thumbsup:

You don suppose the "send a nice order" could have been their signature, like my "Got Flint" is?

It is still a bit pushy, almost like we're sheep being led to a slaughterhouse...

I'm going to try it too, just to see what I get... :D

I sent an order one time for 1 Button......I wonder if that was a nice order? :crackup:
Seriously though,Track has been nothing but helpfull whenever I have ordered anything and I have Talked to Ripplinger himself and found him to be anything but Pushy. :imo:

I sent them an order once for a catalog. It took me seven months to get it. I've been buying from The Log Cabin Shop ever since.

Hank

I've always had the best service from TOTW. They are very helpful and ship items fast. Never seemed pushy to me.

Huntin

I think their catalog is one of the best. I'd send them a nice order, but I have to finish the guns I started first. :redface: Furthermore, there are some I've yet to start (blunderbuss & hand mortar).

I'm going to try it too, just to see what I get... :D

I got this from TOTW today, I asked if they had French flints...

Dear Mr. Morris:

Yes, we have a few, but not enough to advertise these nice amber flints.

Advise which size your need.

They are only a bit more expensive than English flints.

Advise,

David Ripplinger

Track of the Wolf, Inc.
18308 Joplin Street North West
Elk River, MN 55330-1773
Phone: 763-633-2500
Fax: 763-633-2550

I didn't get a "send a nice order" with my email... :(

:what:I can only speak to my dealings with TOW, but they sure bear no resemblance to your description. I have found them to be, non-intrusive, polite, and fair to a fault.

I especially like their catalog, for many, many of their items are shown full size, this is a great help when ordering to insure It is what I want.

:what: Are you sure that you contacted TOTW? I have been dealing with them for the past 15+ years and have had nothing but the best most helpful service that you could ever hope for. But then on the other hand if you had the same attitude that I detect here in your post, I don't imagine they would be too concerened if you did take your buisness elsewhere :m2c:

I sent TOW an email asking for dimensions for the new Davis English lock. This info. was not on thier web site and not in their "current" catalog I have.
Basically thier email response was:If you need this type of information you should order our new catalog as it has full size photos with all the dimensions.
I then get a "letter" restating I should order thier catalog and "send in a nice order." "My" catalog is still in thier mail room!

I have been dealing with Track for several years. Their catalog is the best and I buy each edition as it comes out. They are generally quite polite. Dave Ripplinger is the owner and his son Ethan helps a lot. My only complaints have been when parts were on back order and I did not know this when making the order. Now, I ask before giving the order. I also waited for quite a while for a catalog. The explanation was simply that they were in the process of putting out a new issue. Having some experience with the printing business, I can understand this.

I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago and I will order some items from Dixie (whom I find the rudest and least accommodating) and I will get some parts from TVM and some accessories from October Country. I like to give them all some business.

CS

Maybe it is just me....I emailed them with a question about butt plates...they replied quickly...THEN...another email saying I should get/buy thier catalog (I was planning on doing that but...) at the end, This Ripplinger guy puts a one-liner in that says "send a nice order". Hmmm..pushy, say what? AND THEN, I get a snail mail letter advising me of the same thing and AGAIN that one-liner..."send a nice order". Now hold on there fella....This is going too damm far imo. Fact Is...I have just about made up my mind never to buy, ask, call, or do anything with that outfit. Least not while that jackass is there. I don't mind someone sending me literature selling thier goods...but this attitude...who the damm hell do they think they are...there are plenty other outfits out there....I sure don't need them.

Having been a gypsy trader, a sutler of sorts, and done mail order selling, I can't fault a fellow from trying to drum up business. Nor do I see any reason to go name calling. Answering questions whether emails and on the telephone takes time and cost money. One out of ten calls may place an order if one is lucky. So, how does one pay the bills? I've never experienced anything like what you're describing. Track of the Wolf has been nothing but nice folk to deal with, even when I fouled up and ordered the wrong items. They took care of me fast, courteously and with a smile. Sorry you feel the way you do, but I have no problem with doing business with that fine establishment again.

Just :m2c:

IMO, you might be taking it personally and over-reacting as a[url] result...in[/url] his mind he was probably just trying to be cute, be funny, or whatever...it's one of the biggest problems we all face when using the Internet...there's no face to face so there's no facial expressions to to temper the words, there's no tone of voice or wink that accompanies the Email...that's why the smiley icons are springing up everywhere to try and ensure the proper mood is being conveyed...we all sometoimes get in a hurry and rattle off an answer meaning nothing at all by it, but it can come across wrong, be misunderstood, etc.

FWIW, my advice would be to just let go of this...give TOW the benefit of the doubt, particularly in light of the groundswell of positive support for TOW you've seen in responses, and just ignore any peripheral comments or remarks if you should decide to do business with them...I doubt seriously they would have intentionally made any comment if they thought it would offend a potential customer...they wouldn't stay in business if they did.

:peace:

Last edited by a moderator:
... it's one of the biggest problems we all face when using the Internet...there's no face to face so there's no facial expressions to to temper the words, there's no tone of voice or wink that accompanies the Email...

Amen to that.

In Track of the Wolf's defense: they are trying to pull together a bunch of relatively custom items and maintain an inventory on these thousands of items so they are available as catalog items. I sympathize with them. Every little mom & pop supplier they rely on are probably a bunch of guys like us - who'd rather be out fishing, hunting or shooting instead of rushing to fill an order. We demand batch-production speed and stock levels on custom inventory.

How many, say, Early Bethlehem buttplates in nickle silver should be a safe carrying level?

As far as "place a nice order", it is pushy perhaps, but they're not in the business of providing a free research and reference library. Buy a catalog, at least. The information you asked, and the time he invested in you, may have been already provided in the description of the item from their catalog page (it is a truly nice catalog if you are at all interested in firelocks). Just glancing through, I see each life-size two-view (some three-view) imaging of their buttplates has a one, two or three sentence description.

They ain't a library. How many times do I hear that when reading the comics at the local drug store.

I gotta throw in :m2c: here as well. I've placed several orders with Track's, and they have been nothing but nice, courteous, and helpful. Other than making a boo-boo and sending an e-mail to me instead of my wife when she ordered some books for me for a birthday present, their record with me is spotless.

I'm leaning toward Roundball's theory, that Dave was just probably trying to be funny, and you simply read it wrong. Had you been talking on the phone, you probably would have laughed instead.

If it's bothering you that bad, why not give Dave a call and broach the subject? You'll both probably learn something. :redthumb:

I didn't get a "send a nice order" with my email... :(

I got this today...

Track of the Wolf, Inc.
18308 Joplin Street North West
Elk River, MN 55330-1773
Phone: 763-633-2500
Fax: 763-633-2550

Date: 5/1/2005

Dear Mr. Morris:

We get many nice compliments on our web site, but it is a poor substitute
for our full line 432 page Catalog.
You need our new Track of the Wolf catalog, now ready for same day shipment.

We invite you order our new Catalog 16, with 432 pages of our best muzzle
loading guns, kits, and parts, primitive camping items, cookware, books and
craft manuals, Indian craft items, cutlery blades and supplies, and early
Americana.

This four pound book is published every third year, and has become a popular
teaching aid for gunsmithing college courses, and rifle building classes.

Delivered cost is $10.00 ($7.00 plus $3.00 Catalog Rate Mail for 7 to 14 day
delivery, or $15.70 ($7.00 plus $8.70 Priority Mail for 2 to 3 day delivery,
or add foreign postage. Canada is $15.80 ($7.00 plus $8.80 postage).

The special "bound to stay open" binding allows this technical reference
catalog to remain open on your work bench, while working on projects. The
"exact full size" photographs of most parts allows you to accurately plan
your projects, and make full size plans. Restoration of antiques is much
easier!

Order by mail, telephone (763-633-2500), facsimile (763-633-2550). Use our
secure on-line order form for same day shipment. Visit our web site, at:
www.trackofthewolf.com

You will like our new catalog. Our simple guarantee is "same day refund" on
our catalog and anything else we sell, if you return it. Postage is your
only risk.

Send a nice order,

David Ripplinger

After reading all the posts on this, and then seeing you too got a "send a nice order". I DO NOT find it offensive . As mentioned , after all this is the internet as mentioned.
If it were me, I would let it fly and do business as i have before with them and go on with life.... ain't life simple?.... If we make it that way :thumbsup: :peace:

Woody

I guess my :m2c: would be the same what Woody said. I find that as a personal, and almost friendly remark.....after all, he is in sales.

Russ

Latest posts

Back