• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

track of the wolf tennessee rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stshooter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a kit from track of the wolf to build a tenn rifle in 45. This would be the first rifle kit I have ever built. Is it a good starter gun, easy to assemble, and a fair value? Any comments would be much appreciated.

I've looked at Track's kits and will be buying one. I've built one CVA Hawken and it went together like a plastic model car, basically fit right out of the box.

If you look closeley at Track's site you will see options like having a gunsmith fit certain dovetails (if memory serves). Also they offer tap drills and taps, so, unlike other kits, some basic machining needs to be done. My impression is that I will need to inlet the tang into the stock, locate and drill holes for tang and lock plate screws and barrel pins. I think that all the furniture must be inletted by the builder as well. I plan on dovetailing the barrel myself.

You don't mention what kind of skills you have as regards wood and metal working. Your best bet may be to communicate with someone at Track as regards your skills and what is needed to build one. They have been very helpful and honest with me.

Also, depending on your patience, this forum and others may be able to help you through the process. You may have other resources to draw on for help. Following simple adages like, "measure twice, cut once and You can always take more off but you can't put it back on" as well as practicing on scrap steel and wood will save you a lot of heartache and money.

I guess only you can tell you whether or not this is the way to go for you. From what I've seen, Track is the way I'm going for my basic kit.

As this is your first gun I would suggest you consider asking TOW to do the following pre machining/assembly things for you.

1.Install the Breech Plug. The barrels come pre threaded for the breech plug but to install it correctly, it must fit tight against the shoulder where the bore ends and the threads begin.
At the same time, the plug must be a tight fit where the tang meets the back of the barrel. AT the SAME time, the tang must align with a barrel flat. Getting all three things to happen at the same time is a challenge.

2.Mill the sight dovetails. If you want to dovetail the barrel tennons (or pin tabs) that's fine. They are on the bottom of the barrel where a slight mis-cut will never be seen. The sight dovetails are right out in the open for everyone to look at, so a mis-cut or tilted dovetail will be very obvious to anyone who sees it.

I think you will be able to do everything else without too many problems. If you have any questions, post them in the Builders Bench forum and you will have more help than you will know what to do with.

Before your first build, I would suggest buying and reading "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" TOW carries it. The book gives a great overview of the proceedures, and will help you to decide which parts of the gunsmithing you might need help on.

Good luck! ::

Back