• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trad. Trapper Pistol 50 cal perc. shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newby here. I own a Trad. Trapper Pistol 50 cal and was wondering how many shoot them? I have only had mine a little while but it shoots great. Double set triggers are superb. Shot 25 gr Pyrodex fffG .490 ball .015 greased patch until this morning. Moved to 35 gr Pyrodex fffG .490 ball .015 greased patch. Good move. More smoke although a bit more recoil.
But need to do an accuracy check. The 25 grain load was very accurate.

I don't know about the trapper but have heard/read that others think more highly of them then the TC Patriot. I have the Traditions kentucky and it is very accurate too. The 25grain Charge is my most accurate load for 25 and 50 yard targets. 35 or 40 is a definite hand cannon.

My Trapper pistol is more accurate than I can shoot it. I use a load like yours and it is excellent out to 25 yards. One of my projects this summer is to see just how much accuracy I can wring out of it out to 50 yards by playing with the powder charge and patch thickness. I find the double set triggers are a big help. (I also plan to build a simple stand to support it while loading.)

Welcome to the Forum!

Jeff

I`ve got one I built from a kit awhile back. It`s plenty accurate but more muzzle heavy than I`d like. I also uaually shoot a 25gr charge. Overall I like it.

Back sights can move on you pretty easy...Get it where you like it and scribe a reference mark in front of it on the barrel flat!

My trapper...out to 35 yds shoots 15gr 3F behind a .015/016 patch measured true(not bulk pack lable guesstimation stuff) and a 490 ball that actually measures .492(out of a lee mold)

this of course is all for killing the elusive paper target and hanging steel targets of the trail walk. By comparison, the elusive black tiger of the serengetti requires much more stopping power! :wink:

welcome to the camp by the way, from Newberg!

a guy I shoot rondys with has one and he's won countless blue ribbens with it. his load is 15 grains of FFFg goex and a cast .490 ball. now out of my kentucky I shoot the same load but with a .010 patch. shoots spot on if I do my part.

hey! thanks for the tips. I will give that 15 gr FFFG a go tomorrow morning. Have an iron hog out back cut from a chunk of iron. I have been trying to put him down for many years but he just lets out a squeel and stays upright.

I am using speer swaged .490 ball and .015 patch. nice tight fit.

I don't know about the trapper but have heard/read that others think more highly of them then the TC Patriot.

Not in this lifetime! :youcrazy:

I also have a Trapper someone upgraded to Williams Firesights before I bought it. Havent had it long, only shot a 25 gr load w/ 490 and a .010 patch... and it shoots as good as I can hold.

Point of interest. at 25 feet. Did an interesting test did the 15 grain FFFG, .490 ball, .015 lubed patch over a myrtle log. Shot fine. Then did the 40 grain FFFG, .490 ball, .015 lubed patch and it shot a full 2" lower with the 40 grain load.
Of course the lighter load would be much easier to handle for the paper. But it is good to know the the group does not spread with the animal load.
enjoy your day.

I haven't shot the Patriot pistol, just the Trapper, but I've read a number of comparisons over the years. The impressions I remember is that more people liked the balance of the Patriot, more liked the triggers on the Trapper, and both guns are capable of really good accuracy. I believe these impressions stayed in mind because I figured the Patriot would be everyone's favorite and it was rather evenly divided. I was surprised at the number of Trapper fans.

Jeff

I am a fan for sure. Went out back and shot my iron hog a while this morning and it could not work better for me. I believe it is like anything else. Each man has his own taste. I gunsmithed as a young man and put a German double set trigger that Brownell sold at that time in every custom rifle I built.

It may be due to the fact Patriots are no longer made and not as easy to find. But the Trapper is everywhere. To each his own, but I can not see anyone preferring a Trapper if a Patriot was available.

Latest posts

Back