• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trading for a Flintlock.........Pic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Lykins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here it is, Built by a DK Lisle, Jaeger style rifle, swamped Colerain bbl, wood patch box. I'm trading a high-end recurve bow plus cash for it. Should have it late next week.
jaegert5.jpg

Very nice looking rifle.
Hope that isn't actual size. :haha:
I would say you are getting the better end of the deal.

Nice Jaeger. I have thought several times about trading one of my longbows toward another flinter............. Can't bring myself to do it.

That is a fine looking rifle. Congratulations. Canerod, I like shooting both. I've just recently discovered the world of traditional archery and I'd hate to have to pick between it and shooting flinters.

Tommy Bruce said:
That is a fine looking rifle. Congratulations. Canerod, I like shooting both. I've just recently discovered the world of traditional archery and I'd hate to have to pick between it and shooting flinters.
I also shoot a bit of traditional stick bow, have a couple of pretty nice ones, but nothing close to the value of that Jaeger!

I'm tickled to have found it but it was not an even trade for the bow....several hundred dollars difference.
There's a connection between shooting a longbow/recurve and shooting a traditional muzzle loader, especially in hunting. It's the journey we're after, not the result.

Tomm, that`s why I hunt with both Sometimes I have even bow and arrow and flintlock with me. Especially in ML season. Like that I can kill all the bucks I want with my longbows and kill he further out does with the flinter. Even small bucks are a trophy with traditional archery gear. With any kind of firearm I don`t think so..

Are you getting this gun from Keith or from someone else? Just curious. One thing you can be sure of, it is a well made gun and you will be pleased with it. I am very pleased with the one I have from Keith.

Dave K said:
Are you getting this gun from Keith or from someone else? Just curious. One thing you can be sure of, it is a well made gun and you will be pleased with it. I am very pleased with the one I have from Keith.

From an individual in Ohio, not from Keith. I actually have about $1200 into it, considering the value of the bow I traded. The bow I traded was a high dollar bow and made it easier for me to get into the rifle but I by no means stole the gun.

O.K. that is a lovely rifle! I have to change my opinion though. You did steal it. Good for you! :rotf: :thumbsup:

GOT IT! Came in the mail today. Man is this thing ever gorgeous, pics don't do it justice. While I don't own a bore scope, when shining a bright light down the bore it looks excellent.
QUESTION.....How's the best way to clean it?
With the more common TC Hawken,(caplock), we have here there is a plastic tupe w/ a fitting that replaces the nipple. Place the end of the tube in a bucket of water, put a mop-rod all the way down, draw it out to pull the water into the bore from the breech end.
On the Jeager, there is what appears to be a stainless fitting that is flush w/ the flat of the barrel, can't see a way to remove it easily. I can't really remove the barrel for cleaning as it is held in using several small pins.
Probably a real rookie question but that's about what I am. :surrender:

When I clean my rifle I usually do the following. First I plug the touch hole with a match stick or toothpick (may require some whittling on said match stick or toothpick). Then I pour hot soapy water down the bore, placing my thumb over the muzzle to keep the water in and swish it around a bit and then dump it out. I repeat this until the water comes out clear. Then you can use a patch on a regular cleaning jag or tow on a tow worm to scrub the bore, I dip mine in the soapy water mixture. I do this until the patches come out clean. Then I'll run a dry patch until the bore is dry, followed up with one that has a touch of lubricant on it to lightly coat the inside of the barrel. I usually use a mixture of lard and beeswax or T/C bore butter. There's also some good modern cleaning items out there, such as ballistol that I've heard good things about as well. Some guys just use hot water some use cold soapy water or just cold water. I'm sure you'll get many different responses on here. I like to use water as hot as I can stand it because it seems to dry quicker. As far as the lock, I usually take mine out and dip it in a bowl of new hot soapy water, Then I go over it with a toothbrush until all of the powder residue is gone. I'll wipe it off as best I can with a clean rag and let it air dry. Once it's dry I give it a coating of oil, paying special attention to the internal parts. Once everything is cleaned, dried and lubricated I put it all back together and wipe the whole gun down with the beeswax & lard mixture. I try not to take the barrel out more than once a year because it is easy to mess up the pins and holes used to attach the barrel. Still it's a good idea to lubricate the underneath of the barrel once a year. Hope this helps, and again you have a fine rifle.

Back