• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trading for a Flintlock.........Pic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up Birddog6. He can tell you all about how to clean that rifle. He built it. I had my hands on that gun when he finished it. Nice, very nice. Look him up under "members".

IMHO, change the sling to a more appropriate sling with some hand weaved materials in it & not machine stitched. That is not the sling I sent on the rifle & way to modern for it, plus the fact it will eventually have that big buckle into the wood & messing it up.

Ya did giood Doug. If ya tire of it, call or email me. You know ya can't keep them all when ya build them, but that is one I shoulda kept. :wink:

Keith,
Very true, I don't reckon there were many machine sewn leather goods c1750. I have made straps for arrow quivers using sinew & leather. TOW has Jaeger slings but they appear to be identical to the one I have. Where can I see a picture of a correct sling? I'll likely just make one. Thanks, Doug

Right now I can't help ya, cause my regular CPU is down & it has all of my photos on it. Hopefully I won't lose them all, but who knows......

Possibly someome else has some photos of some authentic looking Jaeger style slings for them.

:confused:

I think myshootinstinks is on to something.

As Wikipededia mentions"
"In 1791 British inventor Thomas Saint was the first to patent a design for a sewing machine.[4] His machine was meant to be used on leather and canvas." it is very doubtful that many "machine stitched" things were around prior to that date.

On the other hand, the leather workers of the time were masters of their trade and could produce some very accurate stitches, being almost as uniform as anything that a machine could do.

Back