• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tradition Trapper Nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Traditions Trapper pistol from Midsouth. The nipple shattered down one side on the first shot (primer only) to clear any oil from barrel. At this point, I am considering this a fluke probably due to a cracked nipple.

Track lists two types of nipples: stainless and Ampco bronze in addition to a musket conversion type. Anyone have any preference based on past experience?

Great gun. I love mine. Don't fret about the nipple. They all do that. I don't know why Traditions hasn't corrected this problem yet. Just get a stainless replacement and enjoy.

I put a 6x1mm hotshot on mine. Most excellent!

Mine cracked same way at about shot #25.

as mentioned above, they all do that.

Yup! Mine made it 5 shots! :cursing:
Call the company and get the stainless replacements- It took a while for them to get to me but they sent them for FREE! :wink:

Steve

It sounds like Traditions nipples have a incorrect heat treatment.

As we know, the nipple should not be dead soft steel but it should not be so hard that it cracks or shatters when the hammer hits it.

Based on this I would recommend to anyone who buys one of their percussion guns that one of the first things they do is to remove the nipple.
Then, use some fine sandpaper and lightly sand the cone area until it is nice and shiny.

Using a propane torch or a gas stove, hold the nipple with some pliers and heat it until the shiny area turns a dark blue color.
Even going slightly beyond the blue color might be in order.
Once this color is reached, drop the nipple into a small cup/can of oil to cool it.

If you have an electric range you can just lay the nipple on one of the coils and turn it on. When the blue color is reached cool it in some oil.

The nipple will be over 450 degrees F so don't go grabbing it with your fingers. :shocked2:

Tempered like this the steel should be hard enough to be used a long time without it mushrooming but it should be soft enough that it doesn't break. :thumbsup:

I am amazed that I keep hearing this! It must be every Traditions gun sold seemingly that has this problem! I have a traditions Hawken and a Kentuckey pistol. Busted the nipples on both within just a few shots!

I replaced the nipples and have really enjoyed the guns ever sense. :thumbsup:

Back