• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional North East Indian Accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mod98

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone offer learned opinion or reference source on the proper type and donning of shooting, hunting and fighting accoutrements of North East Indians.

Thanks

well for fishing i use a branch that has a smaller branch breaking off fron it and widdle it down to a fish hook shape and sharpen one end that is about an inch long and the other end is dulled and has a hole in it and that part is about two inches long . but for a powder measure i use a peice of river cane sometimes a antler one.i use one knife that is antler handled and one scalper i bought(the antler one i made)but the scalper i i wrapped the handle in leatherand sinew.i use a ragular leather shooting bag but i am makeing a south eastern bandoleer bag.and for a hawk i got a belt axe mouse hawk and throwing hawk with bead rawhide and leather and feather work done to it.i use a embroidered haversack with leather strap.mocs of corse center seam lined with wool. my breech cloth is plaid lined with wool,drop sleeve shirt white,red wool leggins and sash leg ties,frock,bandana with silver rings,and a 12 inch horn.i made most of my stuff myself. but if this doesnt answer what your looking for tell me and i will try my best to answer bye :front: oh yeah a leather loading block and wood one and flint and steel and all that good stuff and a blanket of wool

Great question,I was just gettin' ready to post the same thing.Honest.I realize they could always get somethin'off a dead pilgrim but did they actually make shootin' bags themselves?

What tribe and time frame remembering that Iroquois is a confederacy not a tribe and are you thinking Native or White Indian?There are major differences here.

yeah i hear alot of people state the iroquois and they are just six differant nations or if you wanted just state they band of indians that could also work

Did You have a time frame in mind?Remember that the natives of the Noth East had prolonged contact with the white europeans since the mid 1600s.There were many changes of accoutrements over this time period.You may want to consider being Matis(half breed). :imo: :front:

Thanks one feather,those are some great sites.beautiful bags but I'd be scared to take them on to many treks.

My inquiry was about all tribes in North East North America from early European settlements through the American Revolution (disregarding early Viking encroachments onto the Canadian east coast). To the best of my current knowledge that would include the Huron, Neutrals, Iroquois, Abenaki and the Pennacook.

I did not realize there were white Indians. Please elaborate.
---------------------
Why did the French plant so many trees along the Chiens de Lesion? The German Army prefers to march in the shade.
:blah:

Thanks for your detailed response. Let me think a bit more about each area and respond for your input point by point. I hope that is OK.

Thanks again.

You may want to consider being Matis. Please explain your recommendation.

Well thats a pretty broad topic, If you can narrow down what exactly you want the information for maybe we can help more. In the meanwhile, heres a picture of my current kit (still in progress so dont yell at me to much :rolleyes:) Let me know if this helps and please leave me some feedback.. Its always a work in progress. Thanks in advance.
e1aa9f27.jpg

Chingach

It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. I understand that my initial question was very broad but that is testament to my lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.

My interest stems for the home and area in which I live. My house was built in southern New Hampshire in 1771 on part of a land grant from the English Crown to the Quaker family that erected it. I ponder who the Indians in the area, if any, at the time were, i.e., tribe and how they would appear to and interact with the family that built the home?

What Indians were in Southern New Hampshire in 1771?
What was their style of dress and accoutrements?
What was their general disposition toward the small colonial farm communities?

Thanks

well if your intrest is in the area you live try going to some museums near you and or research duh we were just trying to give you some insight i will do some research for your area and tell you what i find? ok

Museums are fine and dandy; however, I prefer more personal insight or recommended reference. There is a vast amount of material out there which half of which I am sure is not worth the paper it is written on. That is why I am looking to a more public forum where I can query those like yourself who can offer that personal insight.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate your time.
:front:

Sorry for being so long to answer You.I suggested Matis as this would give You a little more lattitude in Your dress and firearms.Most Matis seem to have been French and Ojibwa or northern Cree.Although many were crossed with scotch and Irish.If You search Red River Matis You'll find them ,plus many other Matis sites. There is an[url] Org.in[/url] Your area of Matis.The Red River Matis were Buffalo hunters and adopted considerble amounts of Souix Traditions. The Red River Matis are the only unit that is grouped with other Native American nations by the Canadian Gov.They also were the last people to fight the canadian Gov. forces.But as with those south in the States They were forced west.I am Matis and when I pick my persona,thats will more than likely be it. :hmm: :front:

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw that you asked about white indians.ok from what i hear is that a white baby or child was took to replace a dead family member or just to be taken and they were often loved even more than regular children. :winking: also people like simon girty who are just in love with that way of life could join if the tribe sees fit or like the wetzels too :g

Are there any documented instances of white children growing up in Indian villages - the children of white traders or missionaries, let's say - opting for the Indian life over the white? :hmm:

Capt. William

Back