• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett Problem - On to Pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, he can fix that problem too. I don't know what he currently charges but I just sent a barrel off to him a few weeks ago. I guess I'll find out when he sends it back. Far cheaper than buying a new rifle though.

I use the wad over powder and then seat the patch and ball on top of that and I rarely see burned patches. I always make sure I use same pressure on ramrod on every shot too. I swab barrel between shots when I am trying to find that right combination for sure.
I use wonder lube 1000 and mink oil paste from TOW. Not together but at different times.

Do you have a guess as to what relining my Crockett barrel might cost?

I have a Mauser Broomhandle that's been relined to 9mm and works fine. . so I know it can be done. . but it was a shot out bore.

The Crockett is a 1:48 twist . . . I kind of thought that a slower twist, say 1:54, 1:60 or 1:66 might be more accurate for patched Round Ball. . . am I wrong?

I just heard back from Traditions . . . as per my question on a new barrel for the Crockett.

I forgot to ask if it includes the drum (I doubt it) . . . it is $206. . plus shipping.

That's an option, but it too is a gamble . . . kind of like going back to the same clerk and check out isle that short changed you. Its hoping that a new one is better.

He lined an original smoothobore barrel, provided a new nipple, resoldered the underrib back on and repaired a broken underlug last spring, $175. He lengthened and lined an original '63 Springfield barrel, TIGed up the fence on the bolster which was rusted off and installed a front sight $205 but that was several years back. He lined and lengthened a '61 Springfield barrel and also installed a new front sight a few years back and it was about the same $$ as I remember. Your mileage may vary.

I would reline your existing barrel even if it cost more which it will with 2 way shipping rather than taking a chance with another Traditions barrel. Hoyt's barrel will shoot better than you or I ever will :grin: He can give you a recommendation on the twist and rifling style/depth.

Thank you, that is really helpful. Very much appreciated. I will call him and see what he suggests.

That may be by best option. A custom is out of my league . . . so my only other option would be a Pedersoli .32 . . . used Pedersoli has some risks . . . but I do like their walnut stocks a whole lot better than the cheap beech of Traditions. . . Yet I like the slenderness and length of the Crockett . . it fits me well.

Mac if I were you, I'd get a really good sighiting in set up and fire a group from a firm rest and see if the gun can group at all. If not note where the shots collect, as maybe showing a bbl problem years ago I had a Goetz bble that shot too low and Goetz offered to bend It for me if I returned it I shot a final target to send with it from a good rest to show my problem) and the bbl must have healed itself a bull. good luck Best hank

I shoot from a rest, but I've thought in the past of clamping the rifle down. . . in theory, if the barrel never moves . . .and I load it similarly, it has to group, unless there IS a problem.

That being said . .if it did group . . then what? I guess from then on its all practice.

It is a shame that such a great sport like this can be so difficult and therefore discouraging to new shooters. . .to the point of being a deterrent. Honestly, if I didn't have my Lyman Great Plains . . . and just this Crocket, I probably would have chunked it all and gone back to smokeless modern firearms.

That's not a good thing for BP enthusiasts . . . I've shot firearms my whole life, just started with BP about 5 years ago, and I've never had a frustration like this in shooting.

If you have trouble finding the little 32 patches then use bigger ones. Doesn't hurt and maybe patches will give you a clue what is wrong. I have a new to me 32 and am having some trouble also but it's getting better every tome I go.

I guess I forgot to ask this question - Are Pedersoli .32's any good, or do you hear similar problems as with the Crockett . . .all depends upon the one you get, roll of the dice thing? They cost a lot more, I'd like to think they are a superior rifle.

They're in a whole nother league, they're so much better built than Traditions. Handle a Pedersoli, and you'll quickly understand what Traditions has done to hold down their prices......

As for shooting, I've never owned or seen a Pedersoli that wasn't a tack driver. And none of the glitchy folderoll like the chamber issues on your Crockett.

Yeah, you pay more, but you get what you pay for in build and performance.

Mac, I can tell you what's cheaper, and better. You should see if you can have it rebarreled in either .32 or .36 with a Green Mountain barrel. Pedersoli's are rather pricey, even if they are below a "semi-custom" build.

I don't know if GM makes a .32.

LD

Don't clamp it down as you need the barrel to move. Firing the rifle is similar to the action of a tuning fork. That is why you try several different loads so you can match the exit of the projectile with the flex of the barrel to get the best accuracy. If you lock it down you will group for a given grain load; however, you may find that when you shoot the rifle without locking it down you may have different results. As these rifle barrels are not free-floating, harmonics of the barrel that is affected by the stock to produce the best accuracy may be difficult to achieve.

Hairball . . that makes sense . .thanks . . there must be some kind of engineer in you.

Thanks !

There is a Thompson Center on Gun Broker right now, that is a bit interesting . . . it has a Green Mountain barrel in 32 on it.

It doesn't like as slender as a Seneca or Cherokee . . .looks more like a Hawken to me, but I may be wrong.

I GM barrel for the Crockett has crossed my mind. . .I may look into that too . . . still thinking this over . . .at this moment there are some things I need to try this Spring (Its' cold in IN ) with the Crockett . . . but I am not ruling out a Pedersoli in .32 . . . if the price is right. . but the idea of a relined barrel was creative too.

I appreciate ALL the comments and posts on my thread. Very helpful --- THANKS !!!!

Good idea on using larger patches if I can't find the .32 ones . . . for review and clues to what's going on with this Crockett. Thanks.

BTW - The fact that cleaning the Crockett and getting a patch and rod stuck near the bottom is a headache that I always have to avoid is a real pain in the rump and one thing I really hate about the gun.

I had a crockett .32 and like others have indicated, a very low powder charge was in order. I was using 777 and it shot best at around 15 to 20 grains. Anything above that and the patterns blew apart.

While it was a good little squirrel gun, it couldn't hold a torch to my Pedersoli Frontier, which was a .36. But as you so accurately stated, the Pedersoli is more costly...

In reading your problems with your Crockett, MAC1967, part of the problem may have started before you received the rifle. Barring that, make sure the tang screw is always tight and the key fit tight in the barrel lug. Smoothing the bore crown is simple; plug the bore with patches or paper, using very fine emery cloth/paper use your thumb as you turn the barrel round & round. Basically just make sure your polishing is equal around the muzzle. It really works if the crown is indeed the problem.

I've owned 2 Traditions, a .50 DeerHunter and a Crockett. They are not "fine" guns but are generally of more than serviceable quality. A Crockett with a good load is basically capable of sub 1" groups at 50 yards. All that's been said of consistency in loading and working the patches is spot on. I would suggest staying with 3F black powder.

With loads from 30 grains on down, my Crockett shot those teeny-tiny groups. 30 grains was a great load but I eventually settled on 20 grains of 3F, a Lee cast .311" ball and a .018" patch lubed with Hoppes or spit. Over the years I owned it I killed lots of squirrels, targets and tin cans. I never swabbed between shots and accuracy never decreased.

I don't know if this helps but I also know there are "lemons" floating around in just about anything. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Back