• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickjf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Well I finally got my hands on a flintlock. Just traded for a Traditions (Laugh here) stainless with plastic stock. Nothing traditional about that but anxious to shoot it.

altho i havent had a chance to shoot my gun yet, i just got a traditions hawken in flint, it was pretty good looking gun. have fun with yours, let us know how it is.. :thumbsup:

Hey man thats great im new too flintlock and computer forums have fun shooting and good luck.

Got a deer with my Traditions flintlock this past year. They might not be the nicest, most expensive, or historically correct, but heck, they are fun to shoot! Enjoy yours!

I had the Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock. It sure was purty to me at the time. Up until I saw all the custom flinters in grade 4 curly maple that is. A good rifle for a beginner.

The Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock is an excellent production rifle. I enjoy mine very much. It is the only production rifle that The American Revolutionary brigade endorses. and is "Authentic for reenactment use"

Juggernaut
[url] http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R2100[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the American Revolutionary Brigade? I've heard of the Brigade of the American Revolution before, but not this organization, and a Google search doesn't bring them up. That rifle is a tad generic and appears somewhat too late for the American Revolution period.

Unless I am mistaken that gu lacks a cheekpiece and swamped barrel, which would really affect the authenticity factor, you have to be carefull of anything the sellers write up on the guns, even the TOW consignment guns have incorrect statements about authenicity issues.

Yeah, that rifle is about as authentic as mexican food at Taco Bell. No matter how many times people say it's good mexican food, it really isnt. And my grandmother would slap me silly if she caught me eating there. Anyway, back to the subject, the Traditons rifle really is a nice production gun though. There aint too many production guns out there with barrels that long, plus the inlays, and the quality of the stock is excellent. There are a number of ways it could be improved though. Personally, I would replace the walnut with curly maple. But right out of the box, it is a nice gun. Price aint too bad either. The accuracy was ok as well.

No arguments here there are a lot of production guns that are good traditional pieces that offer good service at a good price, without them it would be hard to get started in this sport, I just wish that whenever someone asks and is told about the historical authenticity issue it is not taken as a slam or put down as this is rarely the case by those who try to explain the differences.

TG, what years would a rifle some what like that one represent? I know it's not revolution period, or does it even come close to any period?

Congratulations, Enjoy!
I have a Traditions Shenandoah Flinter in .50 caliber. I am very happy with it so far, even though I've only shot it 4-5 times. Boy, I really want to get out and shoot it some more! :grin:
It's going to make a great deer gun for me.
Flinter

It might be similar to late flint guns 1820ish the architecture is usually off on these guns when they try to make a Roman nose stock with a narrow plank so the stock humps up at the wrist instead of flowing downward, most production guns are best labeled traditional rather than period, as they usually do not follow any particular style/school or type very closely yet are over all similar to ML era guns.

I see, so if one was representing say the second Seminole War period, would that or the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle get by?

:rotf: My traditions came in it is a PA pellet stainless .50. I am interested in functionality not authenticity. the lock is defective with out a sear cut in the tumbler. It is new and likely never fired. I was able to get the frizzen to spark. I will try to get satisfaction from the company as I really want this rifle. Very dissapointed. The only war I want is with hogs and deer.

Well, thats understandable. An M-16 is better for modern warfare than a smoker. But a LOT of these guys here also are reenactors so a correct period gun is a must. Hard to find an accurate period rifle that fits the F&I or Revolutionary war off a production line. Hawkens dont actually fit in either of those, nor does an inline muzzleloader. I gotta give Traditions a hand for trying to make a gun that LOOKS like it would be a period piece. Apparently, Hollywood is comfortable with it though. If you go to the IMAX theater and check out their version of "The Alamo". Davy Crockett is using it. I swear, it's the same model, down to the adjustable rear sight. :rotf:

tg-have you heard of this "American Revolutionary Brigade"? I can't find anything about them on the web but the Traditions web-site claims that this group endorses this rifle for historical re-enacting in the Rev War period.

Out here we have a lot of cowboy action groups and but no revolutionary or civil war groups. We are two generations removed from our living frontier. My wife’s grandfather spent some of his early years living out of a covered wagon. My grandfather used to ride out on the prairie on his horse and hunt food for the family before it was fenced in. I still like the idea of having a usable flintlock rifle. It will be fun

Russ T Frizzen said:
tg-have you heard of this "American Revolutionary Brigade"? I can't find anything about them on the web but the Traditions web-site claims that this group endorses this rifle for historical re-enacting in the Rev War period.

Are you referring to the "Brigade of the American Revolution"? The BAR?

Cooner- according to the Traditions web-site, the rifle in question is acceptable for historical re-enacting by the American Revolutionary Brigade. The Brigade of the American Revolution I am familiar with, but this other organization is a mystery to me and I can find no information on it.

Back