• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentuckey pistol build complete

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished my "winter" project which was a Traditions Kentuckey flintlock pistol. These kits seem to be out of stock a lot so when I got a "in stock" alert from Muzzleloaders.com back in January, I jumped on it. Price was reasonable and I had it at my door in three days. Being familiar with Traditions kits, this was my forth, I knew what to expect. Only two issues to speak of, one was the barrel sat to low in the stock causing the touch hole to sit to low, a third of the hole was below the bottom of the pan. I got some 1/16" and 1/32" basswood planks from the hobby store and was able to shim the barrel to the proper level. The second issue was the trigger guard inlet; the rear section was cut to deep and didn't follow the shape of the brass. I ended up filling it with a plug of wood and recutting it. Turned out better than I expected with only a small 1/8" part of the plug showed at the end of the guard. Staining blended it very well.

I used LMF browning to lightly rust blue the barrel and lock , then rubbed it back to get a "French Grey"/natural patina look of a left in white barrel with some age. The lock looks darker in the pics than it really is. Brass was tarnished by wiping with a patch with BP fouling. I used a brass side plate from TOW to dress it up a little over the round washers supplied. Stock has one coat of BC rusty walnut and two coats of BC walnut cut 50/50 with water. Finish is 4 coats of Minwax antique oil finish , then lightly buffed to give a dull sheen. Very pleased with how it turned out, I was going for that slightly aged, used look and I think I achieved that look. Also lock parts were polished and tuned and a cva bridled was added for a smooth hammer throw. I haven't shot it yet, plan to get out mid week and give it a try. That is all, carry on friends.

111.JPG

1.JPG

Couldn't wait and had some time today so like a kid I was off. Fired 5 shots from a sandbag rest at 10 yards. Load was 25 gr. Sheutzen 3F, .015" pillow ticking prelubed patch, and hand cast .490" RB. I'm pretty satisfied with the group, just need to make a taller front sight to bring it down to point of aim. All 5 shots went off as they should with only a very slight delay on the last two,

On a side note, I could hear the balls smacking the wood backstop at 100 yards and found 3 out the five balls on the ground in perfectly round conditions. You could almost just load them again. Tally ho ! Gents.
12.JPG

Couldn't wait and had some time today so like a kid I was off. Fired 5 shots from a sandbag rest at 10 yards. Load was 25 gr. Sheutzen 3F, .015" pillow ticking prelubed patch, and hand cast .490" RB. I'm pretty satisfied with the group, just need to make a taller front sight to bring it down to point of aim. All 5 shots went off as they should with only a very slight delay on the last two,

On a side note, I could hear the balls smacking the wood backstop at 100 yards and found 3 out the five balls on the ground in perfectly round conditions. You could almost just load them again. Tally ho ! Gents.
View attachment 341132
Nice!

Just finished my "winter" project which was a Traditions Kentuckey flintlock pistol. These kits seem to be out of stock a lot so when I got a "in stock" alert from Muzzleloaders.com back in January, I jumped on it. Price was reasonable and I had it at my door in three days. Being familiar with Traditions kits, this was my forth, I knew what to expect. Only two issues to speak of, one was the barrel sat to low in the stock causing the touch hole to sit to low, a third of the hole was below the bottom of the pan. I got some 1/16" and 1/32" basswood planks from the hobby store and was able to shim the barrel to the proper level. The second issue was the trigger guard inlet; the rear section was cut to deep and didn't follow the shape of the brass. I ended up filling it with a plug of wood and recutting it. Turned out better than I expected with only a small 1/8" part of the plug showed at the end of the guard. Staining blended it very well.

I used LMF browning to lightly rust blue the barrel and lock , then rubbed it back to get a "French Grey"/natural patina look of a left in white barrel with some age. The lock looks darker in the pics than it really is. Brass was tarnished by wiping with a patch with BP fouling. I used a brass side plate from TOW to dress it up a little over the round washers supplied. Stock has one coat of BC rusty walnut and two coats of BC walnut cut 50/50 with water. Finish is 4 coats of Minwax antique oil finish , then lightly buffed to give a dull sheen. Very pleased with how it turned out, I was going for that slightly aged, used look and I think I achieved that look. Also lock parts were polished and tuned and a cva bridled was added for a smooth hammer throw. I haven't shot it yet, plan to get out mid week and give it a try. That is all, carry on friends.

View attachment 340707
View attachment 340708
I like the aged hardware with wood stain choice! Might have to copy you when I redo my plains rifle! Looks awesome 😎

Back