• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question

I thinking the new englander 12ga.. im probably going to mostly still hunt slow..

Do I want the IC choke. or.. modified. Full.

Like when I spot one.. how close am I trying to get?

Question

I thinking the new englander 12ga.. im probably going to mostly still hunt slow..

For overall best results with a scatter gun on squirrels I’ve always preferred a full choke. In fact, I’m running an extra full choke on my unmentionable scatter gun. However, I never use it anymore, at least on squirrels.

Question

Mine is cylinder bore. 35 yards is about the furthest I will push it to kill cleanly. I use #6 shot for squirrel in late season.

Patterns changed for the squirrels in my little woodlot in the past three weeks. A couple weeks ago I was seeing up to 15 at the same time feeding off my deer feed. It was a bit ridiculous and I even tried to tease Ed with a pic. The last two weeks, especially, they've all but disappeared and I'm seeing only two or three at any given time now. The ground is littered with hickory shells, which they started cutting about three weeks ago. The oaks and hickory have matured enough that the squirrels have dispersed again.

The local corn field is also going to tassel so they'll be raiding that food source soon as well. It is common to find numerous corn cobs well into the woods and I watch those buggers drag cobs as big as they are a hundred yards or so, over and over again in the fall. It's comical to sit there and see a squirrel bound into the corn and then see a random stalk start waving erratically... then moments later he's dragging that cob back to the woods.
I have sat in a climber while deer hunting next to a corn field and watched the same thing. It was years ago but I believe it was fox squirrels I saw do that, but I’m not sure. I was amazed at how they kept packing ears of corn such a long distance.

Squirrels sure are interesting little critters.

Mine is cylinder bore. 35 yards is about the furthest I will push it to kill cleanly. I use #6 shot for squirrel in late season.
I’m surprised you could ever get that with a cylinder bore choke. At least a clean kill with #6 shot at 35 yards. Before I went to full chokes I learned the hard way that for longer shots, a heavy load of #5 shot and the maximum amount of powder charge was best. With the larger shot it only takes one or two of the lead shot to bring down a squirrel.

However, Tom, I’ve been known to take shots way up yonder into tall treetops at squirrels so perhaps I was pushing the limit?

Indeed, a scatter gun certainly is a different animal when compared to our small caliber squirrel rifles. One thing is for sure. If a squirrel hunter wants to bring home the meat in a relatively short amount of time, a scatter gun is the way to do it.

I’m surprised you could ever get that with a cylinder bore choke. At least a clean kill with #6 shot at 35 yards. Before I went to full chokes I learned the hard way that for longer shots, a heavy load of #5 shot and the maximum amount of powder charge was best. With the larger shot it only takes one or two of the lead shot to bring down a squirrel.

However, Tom, I’ve been known to take shots way up yonder into tall treetops at squirrels so perhaps I was pushing the limit?

Indeed, a scatter gun certainly is a different animal when compared to our small caliber squirrel rifles. One thing is for sure. If a squirrel hunter wants to bring home the meat in a relatively short amount of time, a scatter gun is the way to do it.
With my range testing when I first got barrel, I found (at least in this barrel), if I use equal measures of powder/shot, I don't get as good performance as I do, like the old saying goes "less powder, more lead, travels farther, kills them dead", rings true. I will get a wide, or blown pattern if I use equal or more powder than shot .

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    IMG_20240227_121025211.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240227_121005749.jpg
    IMG_20240227_121005749.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
If you expand the photo with the cash capper, the can was my unloading shot. About 40 long steps, and I'm 5'10". Haven't been on a patrol in years, so I can't recall my pace count.🤣

I have sat in a climber while deer hunting next to a corn field and watched the same thing. It was years ago but I believe it was fox squirrels I saw do that, but I’m not sure. I was amazed at how they kept packing ears of corn such a long distance.

Squirrels sure are interesting little critters.
One of the funniest things I ever saw a squirrel do was run with a small apple in its mouth. Was a young little fella, he must of been in too high a gear, cause he face planted, did a front flip then continued on. Never dropped that apple though.

#19 was definitely a major perp. Been coming from across the street. I thought a car might get him first but in the end he is being indoctrinated at "The Colony".

Lately I'm sensing my subjects subtly turning against me. Gonna have to clamp down on the trouble makers. Beginning to feel like the lion tamer who feels the need to work with a pistol on his hip. :eek:

#19 was definitely a major perp. Been coming from across the street. I thought a car might get him first but in the end he is being indoctrinated at "The Colony".

Lately I'm sensing my subjects subtly turning against me. Gonna have to clamp down on the trouble makers. Beginning to feel like the lion tamer who feels the need to work with a pistol on his hip. :eek:
He was wise to the ways of the Buick, but was no match for Cage Master Cruiser!🤣

Yesterday I spent some time collecting trail cams and looking for elk.

At the same time I noticed that the Piney population is going strong. Those who live where the pineys thrive are surely familiar with what's in these pictures. I call these squirrel kitchens. It's a place where they both store and devour the seeds of the cones. That large mass amongst the holes is an accumulation of the remains of the cones they have eaten.

20240909_172135_copy_640x480.jpg
20240909_172015_copy_640x480.jpg

On the drive home this cow and calf moose showed their South ends as they trotted down the road in front of me.

20240909_191406_copy_640x480.jpg

With my range testing when I first got barrel, I found (at least in this barrel), if I use equal measures of powder/shot, I don't get as good performance as I do, like the old saying goes "less powder, more lead, travels farther, kills them dead", rings true. I will get a wide, or blown pattern if I use equal or more powder than shot .
I don’t know about muzzleloader scatter guns but my other type digests 1.5 ounces of number 5 magnum shot with 4 drams equivalent quite well. It kicks like a mule but Lordy, it puts them in a tight pattern from 40 yards. With the extra full choke, it’s a critter killing machine. Great on squirrels and turkeys.

Either way, personally, after loading and field testing different sizes of shot , I’m sold on larger shot. After changing over, my success rate on squirrels increased. But that was using a different type of tool that I no longer hunt with so I digress.

Last edited:
Same here, Ed. Dad liked #4's. 16 ga modified choke.
Yeppers, your not throwing out there quite as much shot but with the larger shot, it only takes a couple of shot to bring down a squirrel. I actually experimented with number 4 shot and it worked out fairly well but number 5 shot in front of a heavy powder charge is my go to shot for squirrels and turkey. Actually does well on crows as well. However, it’s a bit much for rabbits.

Yeppers, your not throwing out there quite as much shot but with the larger shot, it only takes a couple of shot to bring down a squirrel. I actually experimented with number 4 shot and it worked out fairly well but number 5 shot in front of a heavy powder charge is my go to shot for squirrels and turkey. Actually does well on crows as well. However, it’s a bit much for rabbits.
Back in the day when lead was OK for waterfowl I settled on 5. I tried 8 on squirrels and grouse. Squirrels give the raspberry and walk away. Grouse are rendered near inedible.

What about steel in ml scatter guns?

Back