• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions PA Pellet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonight I went out and bought a Traditions PA Pellet Muzzleloader. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this gun? I haven't bought any powder or pellets for the gun yet so my next question is what should I buy? Should I buy a starter kit or what? I am new to muzzleloaders so I know very little about them. Any help that you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
PaDeerHunter

I talk with a fellow on another forum that shoots a Traditions PA Pellet. He has only good things to say about the rifle. He said it is a great sabot shooter for starters. He shot a nice hog with his using a Thompson Center Mag Express 240 grain XTP and 80 grains of Goex FFg. From some of the posts I read on them, I almost bought one myself. They sounded like a nice rifle. I instead went for the Lyman Trade Rifle.

All posters have said forget the pellets. Use loose Goex and it will fire every time. They also said in their posts to avoid over filling the pan.

Keep us posted on how it shoots.

I bought the Pa Pellet. This is my first flintlock. I got the camo/nickel version. I love the gun. I shoot loose 777 in her, Goex 4f to prime. Fast ignition, very few misses once I learned a thing or two. First of all, don't load no 150 grains of anything in this gun. You are wasting your money and threatening the integrity of the gun. I doubt that all the powder will burn in the barrel anyway. I shoot 80 gr. 777 2f and a 295 gr. Powerbelt. She goes off like a cannon and really shoots flat. I think 80 gr. 777 equals about 92 gr. of BP. No need for more powder IMO. It had a stiff trigger. It would actually hurt your finger to pull it even one time. I removed the lock and adjusted the sear till the catch was just enough to cover the tip of the pin in the notch. Real nice now, not too much hair trigger either. I polished the pin a little with steel wool and lubed the works with synthetic grease. What a world of difference a little tinkering will do.I found the frizzen was not swinging open completely so I removed it and polished the ends to make a little more tolerance in the journal and greased it. She has lightening fast lock time now. She is designed to shoot Pellets but a waste to do so IMO. You have to dump a trickle of loose in to fill the channel to the t-hole to shoot Pellets. Easier to just use loose and be done with it. If you can tinker a little with things, I highly recommend this gun. Good for the money.
Oh also,
The ignition is fast, like centerfire, if you do your part. A flint needs adjusted often, that's just the nature of the beast. If you wipe the flint and frizzen with alcohol after each shot, you should have no problem. You can buy the little individually wrapped alcohol wipes at the store, they are good to take hunting in your bag. Stay away from sawed agates,they don't last too long. A good English flint or Amber French is the best way to go. The only thing that affects my lock time is quality of spark, now that I have fine tuned it a little.

What folks don't understand is that a flintlock needs paid attention to. As long as you keep her clean and adjusted, they are very reliable and rarely misfire. Oh yea, by all means you could try the Pellets, it is designed for them. There is a flash funnel in the breech plug that you have to fill with loose powder though. A couple of pushes of the pan primer dumped down the barrel should do it. I just premeasure and fill prescription bottles with charges of loose powder to avoid measuring in the field. I never bothered with the Pellets.

I bought the gun for my daughter, and shot it quite a bit myself as well. It fires reliably with pyrodex pellets. Ignition is fast and positive.

I didn't like the trigger pull as it came, but it's easy to fix that. The sights are not to my liking either, but my daughter liked them until the front sight fell off. The biggest disappointment I've had with the gun is the lack of response and unwillingness to offer assistance on behalf of Traditions' customer service department.

As far as accessories I think you can get much higher quality if you buy what you need individually rather than in a starter kit, but the kit will save you some$$$ and you will get the basic gear that you need.

You will do fine shooting pyrodex pellets from your gun, but for the most versatilty and potential accuracy you'll find that loose powder is the way to go, whether you go with real black powder or a substitute.

I trust you'll enjoy your new found sport, and if you need any advice or information on anything related to black powder or muzzleloaders, somebody in this forum has the knowledge that you are seeking.

Latest posts

Back