• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pellet Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbiros

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was given a Traditions flintlock, all the metal is in perfect shape but it came with a sacrilegious plastic stock....

I inquired about replacing it with a wood stock, and they want over 300.00 Dollars......after getting up off the floor from my laughing fit, i decided to make a stock for the rifle.

My Question has anyone attempted to do something similar? Can you suggest a supplier, and or any tips that would be helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Your talking about a LOT of work here but if you do a good job it will save you some money.

The first thing to do is to measure the width across the outside barrel flats, from one side to the other. If it is 15/16 inches (.938), your in business. :)

If I were thinking about doing this I would go to Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply.

They make most of the stock blanks for many of the places that supply muzzleloading "kits" for custom guns.

I would order the Leman Stock blank after telling them I don't want the lock or trigger mortise cut.
(They can rough these in but they are for a different trigger and different lock so it's better to leave them uncut).

Here's a link to their Leman Halfstock.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/lemanhalf.shtml

The price for the roughed out blank with the barrel channel and the ramrod hole drilled is $47.50. That pays for the cutting. It does not pay for the wood they used.

To figure out which type and grade of wood you want go to the next link.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockprices.shtml

With inexpensive gun parts like you have I would buy the cheapest type of wood they have.
That would be their curly maple #1 and it will cost you $75.00 plus shipping.

The total cost will be $122.50 plus shipping costs.

You can use your existing hardware and use the existing stock as a reference for how to cut the wood and install the hardware.

Figure on spending at least 120 hours of your time to finish the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help, I just can't stand that plastic stock, and hell, I can always use another project.....the gun shoots great, but the tupperware stock literally flexes

I would leave it as it is, and it would be a kids' gun, loaner, bad weather, or teaching gun.

If you're going to go to all the work involved in a build, why not do it with quality components to start with? If you do what you were thinking of, 140-180 hours later you will still just have a Traditions gun (with all their inferior components) with a wooden stock--the earrings on a pig syndrome.

I know I'm offending those of you out there that have Traditions guns, who will say; gee, I love mine and it's great. Well, more power to you. But it's still a $200-$300 used gun. A well done custom built gun is more like a $2000+ gun even in a used condition. The work involved in a custom gun is pretty much the same, whether you use good parts or bad ones.

I hear what you are saying, but if he is going to use it to hunt with (or whatever), it's certainly a good way to get into building.

And if he does rework this, you know he will be building from scratch in short order..

Latest posts

Back