• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvanian .50 Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Couldn't resist this one sitting in a used gun rack...still new and unfired. The dealer had a very low price on it, and she is now mine...

I've only one other Traditions, and it is a caplock .32 Crockett. Not a well finished gun but a little tack driver, nonetheless...

The Flintlock is on a different level. Fit and finish are fine. The embellishments are well done. The barrel flats are nice and sharp. Going to shoot her today for the first time and true up the sights..

Even at full price, this would make a fine entry level Flintlock and nothing to make excuses about :wink:

Shenandoah011.jpg

Shenandoah006.jpg

giz

i'd be willing to bet that you're going to have a boatload of fun with that nice looking new rifle-

congratulations!

make good smoke

I have what I believe to be an earlier version of the Pennsyvania rifle; different patchbox and none of the extra inlays. Was given to me by a friend, and I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. Next weekend, if I'm lucky.

I had one of these, and your right, it is a good "starter gun". It was my first as a matter of fact too. Of course, later on you'll want a custom gun, so prepare yourself. It's enevitable. :grin: I highly recommend using some good Tom Fuller flints from TOW. I forget the size, but the flints are small, and I also suggest drilling the liner vent slightly bigger too. That'll help keep down misfires. I wish I had done that to mine when I owned it. Anyway, Congrats on your new sparker and have fun!!! :thumbsup:

Lostrifle,

First, welcome to the forum :grin:
Traditions made a different version of the gun I posted. Slightly shorter in length and just over 7lbs. I believe they call it a Shenendoah. If I recall it had two hunters stars in the forestock.

Should be a fine and handy gun... :wink:

giz

tg,

I believe the website for Traditions puts the new Penn gun at about $720 retail. What that means in the real world is anyones guess...

Again, not a gun to compete with a semi-custom or a custom...But a great way for someone who wants to test the waters, to become involved with our facination with Flintlock rifles...

giz

Nope, this one's a Penn rifle for sure. I'd been looking at the Shenendoah. This one has a 40-41" barrel; the Shenendoah has a 38" barrel. The gent who gave me the gun said he got it several years ago. Then he got a custom-made gun, and stopped using the Traditions. When I mentioned on another forum that I was looking for a .50 cal flinter, and didn't have money for one at the time, he offered it to me if I'd come pick it up. He lives in central PA, west of Harrisburg; I live in the middle of NJ. I agreed to meet him at the Cabela's store in PA. I figured it was worth the 2-hour drive!

Then I stand corrected and am happy for you. I love stories with a happy ending...

Sounds like the two of us will be busy working up favorite loadings for our new guns.

life is good. :wink:

giz

Hi, congrats! This was one of the short list guns
that I was considering for a 1st flinter. This sells on some of the discount sites for 600.00 and up. The Shenandoah goes for @ 100.00 less. I ended up with the Lyman GPR flinter in 50 and am just getting to use it.

Man it is hard to believe the production guns have gone up so much, this could be a real issue with those taking the typical approach to the hoby by getting an over the counter gun and a different level later if the sport sticks, I would really be looking at the used gun listings if I had to get a "starter." I guess this is one good thing about having four grandaughters instead of grandsons :shocked2:

Hey Gizamo,

Word to the wise here. Don't lean your head over the top of that Roman Nose stock to line up your sights or you will get a bruised cheek...ask me how I know!

You can either move your head farther back on the stock to line up the sights or turn your nose towards the stock which, moves your eye closer without putting your cheek over the top of the stock. Moving your head back feels a little weird at first, but makes it easy to line up the sights without getting bruised. Turning your nose into the stock is an old shotgunning trick that also works well with this rifle.

I've had one of those for years, but now have a very nice custom Early Lancaster rifle. You'll find that Traditions to be a good reliable shooter. NEVER use anything but real Black Powder in it. I use 3fg in mine for both the main charge and the prime. Remember to wipe off the bottom of the flint and the frizzen every couple of shots. If you use your finger to wipe off the flint, you will slice open your finger, so don't.

Congrats on your new rifle!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

The way I countered that was to sand down the "step" just behind the wrist so it blended in smoother to the butt, much like a Lehigh rifle. Then I refinished the entire stock. Just a thought.

"Word to the wise here. Don't lean your head over the top of that Roman Nose stock to line up your sights or you will get a bruised cheek..."

I think that is a result of not having a wide enough plank to let the comb drop off as in the originals, I have had several guns of this style by different makers and they all kind of hump up then flow down to the heel.it is usually just a matter of getting used to them.

A bit of cast would have benefited the gun a great deal. Coming off straight does put ones cheek in a bit of an odd postion.

But with all things BP, it is the marrying of the shooter to the gun that either creates bliss or misfortune...The rifle responds to the shooter equally as well as the man that mounts her :wink:

giz

You will really like it. I have the caplock and the flintlock and they are both shooters,I also have the shenandoah and I could not be more pleased with it in fact I am going to order the .36 barrel for it.In my opinion these guns are well worth their prices. Good luck, make smoke, make meat. TBONE

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the twin to yours with the same inlays in the same spots in the stock mine shoots great i use 60gr. fff it hold the best pattern with that if no rain this weekend going to put a few round through it hope you enjoy yours

That's what I own, I've taken to the range a few times and then broke the front sight blade...4 months later I got a new blade put on...literally 30min ago...and can't wait to take her out again! She shot about a low high, even with the rear sight adjusted all the way...I'm going to need to file down the front site for sure

If your raising the rear sight and wanting to file the front sight down I sure hope when you said, "She shot about a low high..." you really meant to say, "She shot low...". :)

You didn't say what the range that you were shooting at was but I would suggest that you try it at several different distances before you start filing the front sight down.

LOL oops, I was trying to remember how she shot, it's been 6 months since I took her out. All I remember was that I was going to file down the front site, as it shot ridiculously low I believe. at 50 yards...I tried at 100 and could barely get it on paper
I'm hoping to get to the range this week or next

Latest posts

Back