• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions pioneer problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Mornin' all-been having a problem with my Traditions pioneer pistol.It has a fairly heavy trigger pull but inside the lock there is a small screw that can be adjusted to lessen the tension on the sear engagement and so lessen the trigger weight, only problem is that when i do that and lighten the trigger pull to an acceptable level and go to fire the pistol the sear will catch in the half cock notch.From what i have read I guess i need a "fly" installed, problem is gunsmiths (and those knowledgable about BP guns) are thin on the ground around here.Any other possible solutions-cheers zodd

I had a pioneer years back, if I recall, all of traditions locks should have a fly on them, is there a small area on the face of the sear for a fly? if so, and you dont have one, Id be giving Traditions a call, when I had a problem with my lock,the sear cracked at the half cock position, they hyad me send it back to them and they shipped me a new pistol.

I also have a Pioneer .45. That screw is more for creep in the trigger. Mine also had a heavy trigger pull. To fix it I bent the small u shaped spring together some. That made it into an excellent trigger. I took it out and pinched it with a pair of pliers. Mashed the sucker flat on the first try and was afraid I had ruined it. I pried it apart some and it worked fine. I wound up with probably about a 1 lb trigger pull.
My Pioneer is just an excellent shooter. It will clover leaf em at 25 yards if I do my part.

Latest posts

Back