• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions revolver vs Uberti or Pietta?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking at various sites at the different revolvers. Most seem to be made by Uberti or Pietta and the quality on both is good. I am leaning toward the 1860 Army.
I have ran across some made by Traditions. At least I think they are made by Traditions. Does someone else make Traditions revolvers, like Uberti make the Cimarron revolvers?
Does anyone own a Traditions revolver?
I noticed a relatively inexpensive 1873 model revolver that looks like it would be fun too. Anyone familiar with them?
Jim

I have both Pietta and Uberti, I would stick with
the Uberti, fit and finish much better. I have
had more problems with the Pietta products.

Redwing :redthumb: :results:

I have a Pietta 1858 Remington which I've been shooting regularly for over a year -- probably put about 500 rounds through it by now. It's reliable, accurate, & gives me no trouble. The general wisdom here seems to be that Piettas have improved in quality over a few years ago -- certainly mine has been fine.

That's what I have understood about the latest Pietta revolvers from reading posts here.
But, who makes the Traditions brand? I think I read that all reproductions are made by Uberti, Pietta, and a couple of other Italian companies.
Jim

That's what I have understood about the latest Pietta revolvers from reading posts here.
But, who makes the Traditions brand? I think I read that all reproductions are made by Uberti, Pietta, and a couple of other Italian companies.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dont know about all of traditions,but my 2 1858 Rems are made by pietta

my 1860 from traditions is marked pietta on it. not sure if they make all thier revolvers, but using prices as a estimate, I would assume they are all made by pietta. :m2c:

I owned a Uberti .44 Colt Dragoon for some years and found the fit, finish and function to be very good. A few years back I bought a new Pietta .44 1858 Remington Competition which, though more expensive, was disappointing in fit & finish. I sent it straight back as the rifling in the barrel had been very poorly cut. Changed it for a Euroarms .44 Rogers & Spencer which I have been very satisfied with.

My experience with Pietta is admittedly a one-off but I wouldn't personally buy another. You shouldn't go far wrong with a Uberti, Pedersoli or Euroarms.

Tight Wad :imo:

AFAIK there is NO American manufacturer of BP small arms. Even Colt's "Signature" series were made (at least all the parts) in Italy.

Uberti, Pietta, Euroarms, Investarms, and Pedersoli are the top producers of traditional BP arms.

I don't know if Cimarron et al. have theirs procuced to their specifications, I couldn't compare one to my Uberti's but they are quiet a bit more expensive as the "Spaghetti" ones. :imo:

Cimaron just takes an uberti made weapon and polishes the whole gun up real nice and tries to get the mechanical parts all nicely tuned up.

All of my Traditions cap-n-ball revolvers are/were made by FLLI Pietta. They are of good fit and finish, though I think Uberti still has the edge overall on that. I do NOT think that the actual strength of materials used are significantly different for either Uberti or Pietta. I have sold most all of them or added them to a trade to gain an edge in the dealings. Sorry to say, I should NOT have been so anxious to rid myself of some of them. My CVAs are NOT replaceable now, and long, LONG gone.

About 12 years ago, I bought a Traditions 1860 Colt brass frame. (This is NOT the good longer, larger, grip version that are always in steel frame, BUT the version that uses the same Colt Navy brass frame and is much less expensive).

That particular gun was manufactured by Armi San Marco, who I thought had folded up their tent and disappeared, but I have been told that they still are contract producing certain models and replicas of Civil War guns and early cartridge firing lever guns.

I had gotten a Uberti mfd. 1873 clone from Cabela's back in 1999-2000 time frame and it was a less expensive, less polished version of their better fit, better finished guns. It was quite a good shooter, but I parted ways with that for a friend who was getting into "old west shooting" and I wanted the T/C Carbine barrel in .357 Maximum that he had. I think he got the best end of the deal. I don't have the revolver nor the barrel either now... stupid me!

I would still prefer to have a Colt style 1873 gun that has a hammer mounted firing pin. Are there any of the replicas available now that are still made that way? I guess the lawsuit frivolity that exists has put a damper on that kind of design. It IS still the best type for smoothness IMHO!

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I picked up a Traditions 1858 Brass last November and was told by Traditions customer service that they import the Pietta brand at this time. They are trying to offer lower prices than the other importers and would change suppliers if need to do this..I also have an older Pietta Colt .36 Brass and have had zero mechanical issues....only user errors.

Have Fun,
Mike

..I also have an older Pietta Colt .36 Brass and have had zero mechanical issues....only user errors.

A few weeks ago when I took my brass frame colt repro made by Pietta to the range the cylinder failed to lock after a couple dozen shots. This is the second mechanical malfunction that I've had with this revolver, shortly after I bought it the spring broke. I replaced it and shot the gun regularly for several years since. In my opinion the cylinder stop is a victim of honest wear. This gun has been fired and cycled a lot.

I have no clue how many rounds have ben fired in my .36. I picked it up used and shoot it maybe once a month or so, maybe 25 rounds, I think it was used as a "powder only" re-enactors sidearm before. I have been warned about and avoid "max" loads and told that I should watch the frame screws to be sure they are not getting loose.

Sure is fun to shoot it,

Have fun,
Mike

I have a Traditions sheriff model .36 cal. that is a real good shooter!!It has sent a lot of pasture poodles down here on the farm to the big hole!!!Haven't had any mechanical trouble or problems with it.It is the nickel finished model with what looks like a gray fake "wood"? grips.Would buy another if I needed one, but this one should last an ol' feller like me!! ::

I would recommend Uberti over anything made by Pietta. I have ordered some Pietta repro's from Cabela's and can say without any compunction---stay away from them unless you believe it's OK to buy a new gun and then have to spend time and more money buying parts and making them work properly. I had one arrive, which you could not get the cylinder to rotate or remove and there were tool marks all over the gun down to base metal. A second one shipped by Cabela's could not be cocked as the cylinder timing was so far off it needed a lot of work. Not that all Uberti's are 100% ready but generally the workmanship and finish is much better. :imo:

My experience is exaclty the opposite of Pasquenel I bought two Pietta percussion revolvers from Cabela's and have been using them for Cowboy Action Shooting with no problems. On the other hand one of two Uberti revolvers I bought broke the hand spring before I could even get to the range and absoultly refuses to stay in time. If I can't get it repaired under warrenty I guess I'll have a very expensive decoy anchor. Your mileage may vary.

Back