• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Training techniques to improve offhand shooting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... and when you get consistent using one method don't stop there, start working on another. Diversity of method leads to improvements in consistency across all methods.
That just gets confusing in my opinion. I’ve used the same method of shooting, same breathing techniques, same stance ( although I do vary those from time to time depending on the circumstances) I’ve been shooting offhand since I was a kid.

I used to practice in my basement all winter using a pellet rifle. Even amazed me at how much it improved my shooting, so I did it with a pellet pistol and the improvement was even more impressive.
Robin
Exactly! The same technique you use for a pellet rifle can be applied to any other rifle. I normally practice with my 22. In the winter months, I stay fresh by shooting it in my barn, at a distance of about 15 yards, into about 8 layers of screen. I’ve tried my 40 caliber flintlock .. but I don’t have enough ventilation.

I did a "Whoa...WTH" on that until I remembered that you are in Oz.

In the US army "Marksman" is the lowest qualifying designation. It's obviously the opposite in your army. 😀
Yes, it is the opposite, and we got to wear crossed rifles on our left sleeve; no need to boast, it was there for all to see.😇😇

FWIW, gongs with a MZL and/or spinners with the air rifle are NOT giving you fine enough discrimination for WHERE that front sight is at the exact moment the trigger breaks! That is the key to good shooting! To be quite frank, you're only practicing "good enough shooting" IMHO.

Best to break out a bullseye target and using a 6 o'clock 'lillipop' hold, start shooting for the smallest groups to improve your marksmanship. You know the adage, "Aim small - miss small!"

Keep ALL your attention on that front sight and learn to call your shots. Also learn now to establish your Natural Point of Aim or NPA, where the easiest way to learn some of these basic to advanced marksmanship techniques is in this simple book below, available for only $10 as a download or $15 for the book:

Link = https://jarheadtop.com/jarheadtop-com-shopping-page/

View attachment 335727
I've had Jim Ownens book since the 90's, used to shoot Service Rifle averaging 96% agg's, even tried to get enough leg points to go distinguished, but back then couldn't afford to travel to enough matches, then went to F-class and benchrest, and lost my position shooting skills, that's why I am so frustrated with 75%. Am fairly new to muzzleloading, am still placing, and occasionally winning local club matches shooting 75%, but am frustrated because I know that despite being 30+ years older, I believe that I still have the potential to do much better.

to improve offhand shooting,
first get a good stand this can be seen im many instructions
stehend2024-07-23-14-51-02.png

after that practize, practize,practize and yes practize with an airgun is cheap and usefull.

That just gets confusing in my opinion. I’ve used the same method of shooting, same breathing techniques, same stance ( although I do vary those from time to time depending on the circumstances) I’ve been shooting offhand since I was a kid.
(my emphasis added).

Variation is good for the mind. For most people, anyway. Spice of life and all that.

In a real shooting scenario, you adapt to meet circumstances. Best to have practiced that way, too. All I was trying to say. ;)

In a real shooting scenario, you adapt to meet circumstances. Best to have practiced that way, too.
As an example, new handgun shooters today are invariably taught two-handed grip from isosceles stance. Seems to me that in a self-defense situation that method just makes the defender a better target for the attacker. Once he learns to shoot consistently well he should learn to vary his grip and stance so he could, perhaps, learn to shoot one-handed while ducking behind cover.

Last week at one range I was shooting a handgun single-handed from a crouch on top of the bench. Yes, I got some weird looks. But I hit my target just as well from that "stance" as from standing on the ground behind the bench and gripping my gun with two hands. With a rifle, I might shoot offhand while crouched or seated on the ground beside the bench.

Obviously it helps if the RSO knows you're not just some goofball.

Last edited:
Upper body strength is important for a steady hold when shooting offhand.

It's very important that your sights align naturally on the point you want to hit so adapting your stance, sometimes as small a thing as pivoting a foot more in or outward.

As I was taught, especially in timed/snap/rushed shooting, the natural hold is where you "drift" to in firing.

As an example, new handgun shooters today are invariably taught two-handed grip from isosceles stance. Seems to me that in a self-defense situation that method just makes the defender a better target for the attacker. Once he learns to shoot consistently well he should learn to vary his grip and stance so he could, perhaps, learn to shoot one-handed while ducking behind cover.

Last week at one range I was shooting a handgun single-handed from a crouch on top of the bench. Yes, I got some weird looks. But I hit my target just as well from that "stance" as from standing on the ground behind the bench and gripping my gun with two hands. With a rifle, I might shoot offhand while crouched or seated on the ground beside the bench.

Obviously it helps if the RSO knows you're not just some goofball.
Please don't encourage people into the, "what seems to me,,," world when it come to practical pistol shooting. What works has been well proven out,,,, so has what doesn't,,,, although if someone wants to take the time, you've given them another one to tear apart. 🙄

What is the best way to train for offhand shooting? The last few matches, have consistently shot about 75% on paper, about 30/40 on sillhoettes.

Have been practicing on steel targets @ 25 and 50 yards. Cost and availability of caps/lead/powder lead me to put identical sights on a HW-85 spring piston air rifle, and practice on spinner targets at 25 yards. But seem to be at a plateau around 75%.

Just practicing the same old things, doesn't seem to be making much difference. Looking for suggestions/ideas how I might push past this performance plateau, and continue to improve?

You might already be at your plateau, we can't all be Daniel Boone, I know I ain't.

I've had Jim Ownens book since the 90's, used to shoot Service Rifle averaging 96% agg's, even tried to get enough leg points to go distinguished, but back then couldn't afford to travel to enough matches, then went to F-class and benchrest, and lost my position shooting skills, that's why I am so frustrated with 75%. Am fairly new to muzzleloading, am still placing, and occasionally winning local club matches shooting 75%, but am frustrated because I know that despite being 30+ years older, I believe that I still have the potential to do much better.
Okay, so you know how to shoot. Much,,, but not all,,, of what has been said can still help. Sometimes when we know how to do something we take little details for granted when we are trying to sort out a problem, go through the good advise here and analyze details of what you are doing in practice by comparison.
One thing dry fire, airguns, and .22s don't account for compared to your caplock is lock time. Practice follow through by counting to a specific number after the dryfire/.22/airgun shot,,,,,, or buy a flintlock and practice with that for your caplock matches 😉

...... What works has been well proven out,,,, so has what doesn't,,,,
Funny isn't it though how "what works" seems to change over time to something different. Try watching some WWII training films to see how "what works" was entirely different back then.

Maybe there isn't only one single "what works" that works best for all people in all situations?

You can't tell if what you're doing is what works best for you unless you try something different.

But first a new shooter should learn to do as well as possible as taught before trying something different.

Once the basics are mastered, there is no harm in trying something different, and possibly some benefit, depending on the results of those trials.

But you don't know if you don't try.

It just "seems to me' that a slavish restriction to only "what works" without any openess to experimenting with something different, exhibits a certain rigidity of thought, and as a consequence of which, no progress is ever made.

Last edited:
Back