• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapper target loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amccall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a kit Traditions Trapper pistol for Christmas and went out today to shoot it. I was wondering what the loads that people shoot for targets and do you use wads to improve consistantcy. I am shooting 25 grns of goex with .018 pillow ticking and bore butter. Just want to get an idea of what others are shooting. :hmm:

I shoot mine with 25grs of pyro-p anda 015 patch. After I changed my front sight to one I could see, it is very accurate.

Got 1 for xmas, shott it 4 times at home. entered my 1st shoot last weekend and am told I was high gun with a high 80's score.

.490 homecast RB from whellweight, .018 prelubed patch, 25 gr pyrodex P that is at least 21 years old and has a few clumps in it.

shot 50 yards, 10 shots into a 200yd rifle target (NRA)
held dead center on bull, 1st shot 2"into the white at 7 oclock, held 12 oclock to top of black bull and put the next 9 into the black.

This is an out of the box gun, no adjustments done yet.
I'm thinkin I will leave it alone as 50 ds is stretching it.
By the way, the 1st 4 shots were at home at 25 yards and went 3 inches high at 1 oclock.

You are gunna love your new trapper!

Brett

I went out today trying different combinations and what seems to be the best consistantcy for me is 25 grns. of goex, felt wad, 0.490 rb and a .018 pillow ticking spit patch. I was able to put 4 in a 2X2 inch square with my hand stabilized by a post at 25 yrds.
Also if you are shooting high 80s at 50 yards with a new gun, your are doing very well. :hatsoff:

Well thank you!
Im not new to shooting but I hope this just wasn't a case of beginners luck! being newer to the BP arena.
....If I could only get set triggers on my wheel guns!

sounds like yours is wanting to please also!

Brett

Latest posts

Back