• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know that this is a hunting forum but in the spirit of the period(s) vocation, is there anyone that has any trapping advice, stories, period trapping knowledge and/or knowledge of period traps?
If you have any sources for period supplies or trap modifications to modern traps that you would like to share I think we could all benefit.

Hand-forged beaver trap reproductions can be purchased to the tune of $150 +/- and have square jaws (as opposed to the semi-circular jaws seen on modern traps). Period pans were square rather than round. Lure can be purchased or made from castor glands (Lewis & Clark recipe http://www.manuellisaparty.com/articles/pfd's/Beaver Bait from the journals of Lewis and Clark.pdf). Approach from the water side and use dead wood for the chain stakes. Wear wool - that water is cold in trapping season, especially when there is 6-8 feet of ice piled up on the bank.

Muskrat is delicious...

Hand-forged beaver trap reproductions can be purchased to the tune of $150 +/- and have square jaws (as opposed to the semi-circular jaws seen on modern traps). Period pans were square rather than round. Lure can be purchased or made from castor glands (Lewis & Clark recipe http://www.manuellisaparty.com/articles/pfd's/Beaver Bait from the journals of Lewis and Clark.pdf). Approach from the water side and use dead wood for the chain stakes. Wear wool - that water is cold in trapping season, especially when there is 6-8 feet of ice piled up on the bank.

Muskrat is delicious...
Hand,
Thanks for the L&W recipe!!
No trapper could afford $150=/- per trap and still run a line.
I'm thinking the way to go for your average woodsrunning fella is to modify a modern long spring trap as you mentioned : square pan replacement and a set of jaws that were squared off.
I don't know if this would effect a modern trap as far as it firing properly but a modified trap would cost closer to $20-25 and probably less as you came up with a production plan for the modification.
I think I'd luck out on the arthritic joints in that here in NM I'd probably target predators more than water borne critters but you do have my interest piqued on water rat fricassee!!

I have an old trap I've been unable to get any info on, how about some opinions? Trap is 18" wide, jaws 6" x 4", chain 21", weighs 3 lb., all blacksmith made, square pan.

Spence
beaver trap3.JPG

beaver trap6.JPG

beaver trap5.JPG

You could just use modern traps (that's all I have) and get a hand-forged one for talks/displays. For the cost of a modern beaver trap, it really isn't cost-effective to have someone forge square jaws...

I'm certain there were many variations on trap design, but haven't had time to do more research. Ft Union in ND had the square-jaw traps for sale at one time and may still carry them in the trading post. A friend has 1-2 that we use when presenting at Ft Union and elsewhere.

I have an old trap I've been unable to get any info on, how about some opinions? Trap is 18" wide, jaws 6" x 4", chain 21", weighs 3 lb., all blacksmith made, square pan.

Spence
View attachment 52

View attachment 53

View attachment 54
Spence,
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd say it's for beaver but that same size will hold like game such as bobcat, lynx and coyote.
I saw some pics from Museum of the Fur Trade that are very similar.
You might start looking there and make some comparisons

You could just use modern traps (that's all I have) and get a hand-forged one for talks/displays. For the cost of a modern beaver trap, it really isn't cost-effective to have someone forge square jaws...

I'm certain there were many variations on trap design, but haven't had time to do more research. Ft Union in ND had the square-jaw traps for sale at one time and may still carry them in the trading post. A friend has 1-2 that we use when presenting at Ft Union and elsewhere.
Hand,
I think you're right, using modern traps to do the actual work makes the most sense.
I'd hate to harm/lose game due to an inferior design.
If I get to the point where display at an event is a thing for I may still modify some modern traps and come up with a period looking chain to complete it.
I always thought that long spring traps have the quintessential look but I bought a bunch of coil springs

Hand,
I think you're right, using modern traps to do the actual work makes the most sense.
I'd hate to harm/lose game due to an inferior design.
If I get to the point where display at an event is a thing for I may still modify some modern traps and come up with a period looking chain to complete it.
I always thought that long spring traps have the quintessential look but I bought a bunch of coil springs
It's not a matter of inferior design but economics. Period hand-forged traps are pricy and modern traps work well as designed. Go messing with the jaws and it may throw off performance. Also, putting $50 or more hand-forged jaws on a $25 modern trap just doesn't make sense.

It's not a matter of inferior design but economics. Period hand-forged traps are pricy and modern traps work well as designed. Go messing with the jaws and it may throw off performance. Also, putting $50 or more hand-forged jaws on a $25 modern trap just doesn't make sense.
Hand,
True on the performance but a modern long spring trap with square jaws swapped in for show and tell at a public event might work and save a bunch of frog skins.
In essence, if you're trapping to make fur its a numbers game so the more sets you have out there, the more game you come home with.
Another way of agreeing that modern traps are the way to go

Spence
View attachment 52

View attachment 53

View attachment 54

What you have is what is known has a hugger trap, that is because it is minus teeth on the jaws and did have a piece of rubber on each jaw this was to hold the animal but not damage the fur ,it would have been used to take a moderate sized animals .The bigger ones did have teeth on the jaws and also spade teeth which overlocked the opposite jaw ,Mantraps always had spade teeth the overall size including the flat spring on each side of the jaws of three to four foot .
Feltwad

Handforged traps are occasionally found with round jaws - Diderot has a picture, and Gerstell has some examples in his survey of hand-made traps in The Steel Trap in North America. They are just a lot rarer than square or D-jaws, I think.

One style that was apparently used here throughout the 18th century and into the 19th century was the European style with a long base like so: https://www.qsl.net/2/2e0waw/gintrap/150517-apprentice-hi.jpg

They could either have one spring or two. Not so common out west, I think, but Audubon has an illustration from around 1840 or so showing a fox caught in such a trap, so they were being made or imported at that time.

Spence - I tried to hunt your's up but came up empty.

The square pan and the loop on the side opposite the trip/dog are unique. Victor's and Newhouse's (see a lot of those locally) have round plates and no loop. Looks like a "No. 4" size.

Below is a link to a good read on traps in general.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34229/34229-h/34229-h.htm

I have four old traps from family hand-me-downs. Had a couple BAD experiences trying for garden raiding raccoons. A raccoon in a trap makes a crop circle in the middle of a corn patch. I caught one and he pulled up every stalk within a 12 foot radius. About half of what I had planted.

The last straw involved an elderly neighbor's cat (that was ****** OFF but after a vet visit I paid for it was OK - and even kind of more friendly towards me because I had "rescued" it from the trap). Now I use live traps and a head-start on pests.

Spence - I tried to hunt your's up but came up empty.
Thank you, Stumpkiller. Sounds familiar.

I think few people are aware that a significant fur trade existed in the eastern part of the country during the earlier days. When they think of beaver trappers they assume it was the western 'mountain men'. 'Tain't necessarily so.

James Wade, Buffalos in the Corn:
Fur Trapping, Winter 1790 and 1791

My brother and myself spent most of the time that winter in trapping beaver up on Licking still having our home at the station. We were considered the best trappers ever on Licking except the John Bradley, before spoken of. [Bradley] could catch two beavers to any other’s one that might be trapping with us, The tail of the beaver contained an excellent marrow and used to be eaten. …..

"We had four beaver traps (more commonly known as steel traps) about eight inches across in the jaws when extended, and costing from $6 to $8 a piece. Our bait was from the belly of the animal itself. Under the belly of all beavers is a cavity about 2 ½ inches long containing in two separate apartments what are called the oil and the bark stone behind it. The fluids from these two stones, smelling a good deal like asafetida are put together in some tight vessel…..I kept mine in a horn……They compose about ½ gill. I kept some in a horn, the small end unopened and the larger end fitted with a bottom, having a piece of leather sewed around it, so as to make it tight, and a string to draw it out by, the whole so small that I could get it in my shot pouch. The produce of the beaver would make bait enough to last two years but I generally renewed it with the first one I would catch in the spring. Some put asafetida with their bait. But this I thought would injure it. A little whiskey perhaps did some good. The bait was a little twig about as long as your finger with little splints made at the end, and this dipped into the horn. This would be stuck in the side of the bank near the water over where the trap was concealed.

Stakes were driven all around so that the beaver could approach only one direction. The trap was fastened by chains…….When the whole is done, trappers dip this his hand into the water and getting farther along the stream, washes away his sent as he goes till he gets entirely out of the reach of the trap. Some set their bait unskillfully so that the beaver can get at it from the bank and avoid the trap. They are said to be attracted by a ½ or ¾ or even a mile by its sent.”

Spence

If unmarked and handforged, probably 19th century, possibly earlier. Commercially made traps took over most of the market sometime between the Civil War and 1900, IIRC, so a hand-forged trap most likely pre-dates that. They are unfortunately seldom dated, and there is very little data to establish regional or temporal variation, so as far as I know it could come from just about anywhere, and date anywhere from 1750 to 1875 or so.

Gerstell's book is pretty much the Bible on these things, and he just lumps some 300-odd handforged traps together and examined them as a group. Yours is very typical, despite the interesting pan shape and the extra loop - there was a LOT of variation. If it wasn't handforged, it could just as easily be an early 20th century mass-produced trap, I think.

I was out coyote calling one day in college in eastern Oregon, and called in a coyote in some tall grass that was limping really bad. I shot him and walked over and he had a steel trap on one of his legs. I'm glad I was able to shoot him he was in bad shape. I have that trap in my garage. Another time I was up shed hunting in eastern Oregon and had spotted a bear down the ridge from me. I decided to see how close I could get and in the process of sneaking on him I just happened to see a small piece of a old chain sticking out of the ground. It took me a few minutes but I dug out an old longspring trap attached to a big Rock. It was so old I found no markings anywhere. I took it home, but haven't seen it in a couple years, hopefully I still have it. I liked to imagine it was left from mountain men back in the wagon train days!

I used to hunt with a good friend in far southern Arizona. The first time he took me into the desert after javelina he stopped the truck in a sharp bend with a big bush of some sort close by and told me about an experience he had at that spot. He had been passing there while returning from a hunt when he had to empty his bladder. He got out to water that bush, and while doing so a big bobcat leaped at him, squalling loudly. It got within inches of his face before he could move and was then stopped in midair by the chain of a trap it had on a back leg. He allowed as how it was right startling.:)

Back