• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tree Rats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Over here in Wa. I don't think we have a season for Squirrels. Wish we did and I'm all about hunting and eating. My questions is this. Is it my imagination or has the Squirrel population exploded? Seems like it has around my part of the state. How is it in your part of the country?

I counted 13 greys out and about while on stand a few days ago lol. Six were small, this years babys and seem to be of the same litter. A definite population explosion this year here for sure.

There are sure a lot of them here, course there are a lot of hawks and owls (and an eagle or two as well) around here too.

When the pups aint outside, I usually have a dozen or more Greys in the yard. Counted over 40 within sight a few weeks ago. Lots of oak and a bumper mast of nuts this year too.
Redtails are picking a few off but there seems to be a pile of em this year.

I may have to contact my game warden friend to see if I can legally get me some. Which ones taste the best?

a young grey is mighty tasty. specially if ya pan fry, and then put into pasta sauce and simmer for 15 min. serve over any noodle. sure to be a pleaser :v

This year yep a ton more in the past few years I saw more deer than tree rats. Illinois season goes until mid feb. So after deer season hope they are not sleeping and go hunting. I had one that I brined and smoked with some rabbit and a pork roast. those are just darn good. brine is 1 gallon of water, a cup of sugar, 1 cup pickling salt, one cup vinegar boil water add other ingredients until disolved cool and brine. It helps to remove any silver skin on the cut of meat. Smoke at 175 for as long as you can, mine i did for 4 hours dont let temp go above 225, then finish off at cooking temp until the meat thermometer says it is time to eat.

i brine over night in cold water and salt. none of the other stuff. works great. takes the blood and gamey taste out

I like hunting them. I'm setting here waiting on my brother to arrive and then we will be out after them again. I'm driving a traditions "crocket" and he'll be driving a New Englander caplock 12ga...

We really seem to have alot more squirrels in our area the last few years. We were talking about it on the phone last night and figure one of the reason's is that deer hunting is such a big deal now that hardly NOBODY chases squirrels any more during the early months. We are guilty of that as well and have only started getting after them this week. :(

HEre are a couple pics...first one is from christmas eve morning, second is from yesterday morning. Hopefully we shoot straight today. :haha:

100_2029Fixed-1.jpg

100_2044.jpg

LOTS of tree rats around my part of PA. I have been out for late flintlock deer the past three mornings and have seen them everywhere. This morning there were 5 in one pine tree near us squaking at each other for 15 minutes. Didn't see any deer and seriously thought about blasting a tree rat just to shut them up! .50 PRB over 85 of FF...I would have disintegrated the tree rat with that load.

Recon said:
LOTS of tree rats around my part of PA. I have been out for late flintlock deer the past three mornings and have seen them everywhere. This morning there were 5 in one pine tree near us squaking at each other for 15 minutes. Didn't see any deer and seriously thought about blasting a tree rat just to shut them up! .50 PRB over 85 of FF...I would have disintegrated the tree rat with that load.
Aim for the head it'll do about the same damage as a small caliber. That is if you hit your squirrel. :wink:

gmww said:
I may have to contact my game warden friend to see if I can legally get me some. Which ones taste the best?

I think you are out of luck. Western Grey's are on the states threatened list. The other two "normally" eatten species found in WA are introduced Eastern Grey's and Fox squirrels, both very localized to small areas and in very small numbers - so I doubt huntable. The other smaller species you have are not normally hunted for the pot (although they should be palletable) - don't know if they can be shot in your state or not.

I very close hunting pard of mine lives in your state, and he has always complained to me how he can't hunt the tree squirrels there. He drives all the way to my state to hunt Belding squirrels with me most years, although he can shoot them in OR as well (and they are NOT for the pot).

Thanks guys, Our limit here is 5. I was hunting with my brother today and we each took 3. All were shot with the little .32 though, If one of us missed the other got the next shot.

Sounds like you have a lot of them around...and two guys or a dog make it more productive for sure...I'm taking a .62cal Flinter for a walk in the morning with some #4s but don't see too many squirrels where I hunt...if I could bag one, to say nothing of two, I'd be a happy camper
:wink:

One thing I notice is there are lots of them here on the hospital grounds where I work.Lots of old oak trees on the[url] grounds.In[/url] the woods this year saw a few while deer hunting.They seem to be all eating hedge balls...

Last edited by a moderator:
Walks Alone said:
gmww said:

I think you are out of luck. Western Grey's are on the states threatened list. The other two "normally" eatten species found in WA are introduced Eastern Grey's and Fox squirrels, both very localized to small areas and in very small numbers - so I doubt huntable. The other smaller species you have are not normally hunted for the pot (although they should be palletable) - don't know if they can be shot in your state or not.

I very close hunting pard of mine lives in your state, and he has always complained to me how he can't hunt the tree squirrels there. He drives all the way to my state to hunt Belding squirrels with me most years, although he can shoot them in OR as well (and they are NOT for the pot).

Dern gumit all. I guess I'll need to find a buddy in Idaho or Oregon to go take some squirrels. Always wanted to try one out. Hear they taste good and a nice stuffed one would look good next the the Porcupine my daughter shot.

Back