• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tree stand ,sit or move?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sidelock said:
Swampy you have an invite to hunt elk with me in MT any time you can get a tag. And you have a place to stay and all the "fixins" my gourmet wife can put out. AND you will be able to hunt in some very limited areas where others can't hunt. In no way was I knocking your hunting methods,and I sure am pleased you are able to keep on keeping on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello... MY name is Swampy. Please do not be decieved by any imposters. :wink:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

sidelock said:
Swampy you have an invite to hunt elk with me in MT any time you can get a tag. And you have a place to stay and all the "fixins" my gourmet wife can put out. AND you will be able to hunt in some very limited areas where others can't hunt. In no way was I knocking your hunting methods,and I sure am pleased you are able to keep on keeping on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't at all take your post as knocking my only way of hunting. Just was pointing out you would be getting answers from both sides of the issue and everything inbetween is all. :v

I wish I could travel and surely would take you up on the offer. Back in my better days I was lucky enough to particapate in the "Hell of hunt" in Wyoming and had a free hunt for Antelope in Wyoming which was a blast. I would give anything to hunt Elk and Muleys one time but they will have to be regulated to dreams for me now as my body just ain't up to it anymore. I'm lucky to have a place close to the house to hunt Whitetails. I'm happy I can still do that at least. :v

The very first whitetail I ever took with a flinter and roundball almost 20 years ago was still hunted on my own and that was very satisfying.......the majority way that we hunt whitetails in PA's flintlock only late season is by way of silent pushes.
We have a camp in the mountains of NC PA with no running water, outhouse etc and a group of us gets together every year and try to get them moving.....
We use the wind and terrain and do pretty well considering we get last picking of some very hard hunted whitetails.
I guess you could say "pushing" deer to standers on the ground is PC and beyond since that tactic was used by native americans of the area.

I do use portable groundblinds more and more and also being a bowhunter I've spent more than my share of time 20ft up in a tree.

With flintlocks I'd say we're 95% on the move making our action happen with some groundblind and treestand sits sprinkled in if we find some sign that warrants a chilly evening sit.

Hawk2, that's almost as nice as my Ford Powerstroke 350, with my extra large thermos of Joe and jerky treats on the side. Really not quite the case. In reality BrownBear and I like to do the super slow and silent stalks either through the woods or on trails/abandoned roads with lost of stopping, looking and listening. I wish I had the patience to sit for long periods of time and I know it works for a lot of folks but it's just not in the cards for me.

I suppose if I were hunting bananas I would be climbing up trees and vines but when it comes to hunting deer or anything else for that matter if I can't stalk them I'm not going to hunt them. Just seems to me like there isn't much sport in sitting high above where the deer aren't looking and shooting them as they walk by on their migration trails. Bout the same as using my Rem 700 with the Leupold Vari-X.

Celt5494 said:
I suppose if I were hunting bananas I would be climbing up trees and vines but when it comes to hunting deer or anything else for that matter if I can't stalk them I'm not going to hunt them. Just seems to me like there isn't much sport in sitting high above where the deer aren't looking and shooting them as they walk by on their migration trails. Bout the same as using my Rem 700 with the Leupold Vari-X.

Contraire Amigo.... I grew up "still hunting" and love it to this day BUT..... When I first started stand hunting (ground and tree) I was AMAZED at how much more wildlife I saw from grouse to cyotes to deer and elk. It is great fun to watch-em and yet you best be pretty sneaky when you move for the shot cuz they can stll be gone oh so fast....

I still have several treestands, but haven't used any of them in years - not that I wouldn't if I took a notion.

I'm hunting some pretty hilly country out here, and one of my favorite things to do anymore is just slip along a bench, stopping and watching when I feel like it.

i meat hunt and elk hunt from the ground but hunt bucks/bear from a stand,it definetly gives you a big edge here in the woods.

I've hunted from ground stands, tree stands, have still hunted and participated on drives and the method I use is dependent on the animal and it's numbers, topography, number of hunters in the party and the number of hunters in the area. Where I presently hunt deer, a tree stand is used because of the hilly, thick woods and the great number of other hunters. A ground stand could be used but visibility would suffer and scent paths are eratic. Have hunted elk for many years and am always on the move, using a cow call every so often. Hunted mule deer in the mountains and just moved very quietly until one was spotted and then stalked...it seems mule deer aren't as "spooky" as whitetails and if "spooked", run a short distance and stop which gives a good shot.....Fred

I always get a chuckle out of folks who look down on treestands as "too easy" and those on the other side which will tell you that one simply can't kill a deer from the ground. I prefer to keep an open mind and adapt to the situation at hand. I've known folks that have taken elk from tree stands in early season set up at water holes. I've personally taken whitetails from groundblinds, treestands, using spot and stalk and stll hunting. Think out of the box, expand your methods and fill more tags.

Snow on the Roof said:
Think out of the box, expand your methods and fill more tags.

If you look real close at pictures of Moses packing those tablets down the mountain, that's actually the 11th commandment.

If you look real close at pictures of Moses packing those tablets down the mountain, that's actually the 11th commandment. :rotf: :rotf:
[/quote]

I think I hunted with that Moses fella...talked too much, poor shot...

Snow

Snow on the Roof said:
I think I hunted with that Moses fella...talked too much, poor shot...

Snow

And wherever he went bushes kept catching fire and this voice in the sky kept talking to him. Kinda like commercials interrupting a good TV show! :haha:

Generaly slow still hunting,with periods of wathcing trails from position found at the time. now and then a drive to shooters on cutoff points.

I use a tree stand in one area, I get cold and move to another location that has a seat strapped to a tree, and then I have a box in another field, with 3 side open. It just depends on how the deer move at any given time. It changes at different times of the day. If I have an extra hunter come along, I have a place for him.

It is interesting how different areas of the country dictate what is the "proper" way to hunt...

I'm a little suprise no body has mentioned hunting with dogs or out of a canoe...

Many hunters simply don't have enough land to still hunt...Some areas like cutovers and swamps don't lend themselves to still hunting...It's pretty hard to spot and stalk when you can't see 50 yards in any direction...Often you have a much better view 20 feet up in a tree...Add to this, other hunters in the area and you may be safest with blaze orange on and sitting put...

On the other hand, in some parts of the country it would be dang near impossible to find a tree suitable to hang a tree stand on...And with rolling hills and open landscape they aren't really necessary...

As mentioned, I let the situation, time of day and terrain dictate how I hunt, not local traditions...

roundball said:
Not having to worry about sitting in deep snow here in NC, this has turned out to be the best low cost investment I've made for turkey and deer hunting.
At about 6" off the ground, it has a simple seat & back angle adjustment with a single strap/slide buckle to accommodate uneven ground slope. Stretch your legs out in front of you and fight falling alseep. :grin:
Picking it up by its shoulder strap makes it fold up flat, and its pretty light.

Everestrecliner64496_camoresized.jpg

I've been asked about this chair...here are the details...got it from Campmoor in NJ a few years ago.

I just checked and they still carry the chair...its not camo but its the same chair in a mixed green/slate blue/gray which should not be any problem at all...the frame is the same flat black and design, and that's the most important thing.

When I bought mine I got two at the ridiculously low price of $17 / each...(had to be a listing error)...and I see they're listed at $39 now.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___64495

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to hunt out of a Summit Viper tree climber. It is roomy and very comfortable. Last season I backpacked into a wilderness area in the Virginia mountains and hunted on the ground using natural materials. I saw deer, but missed by climber very much.

Latest posts

Back