• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tribute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Pictured here is a .45 TC Cherokee that I assembled from a kit 38 years ago. I harvested a couple of deer and coyotes with it before selling it to my best friend and hunting buddy John. Well, John passed away this past June and gifted me back this rifle. I shot this doe in his honor and sent it home with his son-in-law so it might help fill his family’s freezer. Thanks for taking such good care of this rifle all these years and I will always be your friend. Greg

Attachments

• 2297E671-44F6-4E7D-92F5-6DF97FE78D60.jpeg
    2297E671-44F6-4E7D-92F5-6DF97FE78D60.jpeg
    76.4 KB
  • AA8AFBB1-5E4E-41AA-A4CB-1244B6734688.jpeg
    AA8AFBB1-5E4E-41AA-A4CB-1244B6734688.jpeg
    251.3 KB
That is a fine and fitting tribute to a good friend. The added touch of gifting his family with the meat is another thoughtful gesture to honor your friend.

A Cherokee I fashioned out of a kit resides in my home, as well. It is a .32 and took many squirrels in past years. Always considered adding a 45 barrel when T/C was still in business making these rifles, before the S&W acquisition. Maybe someday I'll look into it.
Thank you for sharing your story, and your heart toward a dear friend. Hard to loose them.

What a great salute to a friend. We are all on his path, sooner or later,
we will make it to that heavenly Home. Your Tribute reminds us of the brevity
of life, and to tell your friends the good things now and submerge differences
because life is fleeting. Thanks for remembering the love for your good Friend.

1989, just out of college, I met a guy at my new job who co owned a camp in NY's Adirondack mountains. I considered myself s hunter, stalking the woods behind my house. He invited me to hunt with his camp. 30 years of great bucks and incredible experience. He became my younger sons godfather. My father passed on 2012 during deer season. My friend knew something was up when I didn't show up to hunt. He skipped hunting that day to check on me. Lost my friend to a botched gall bladder surgery a couple years ago. I hope all these lost friends are stalking big bucks somewhere, followed by a warm fire for eternity.

Last edited:
Your story is so good that it brought back some of my own memories. Cool fall mornings by the duck pond, warm afternoons walking for partridge, evenings cooling again as we head for the tree stands. Good friends, good times, stories from the field get no better. I now make memories with a n adult son and 3 adult grandsons.
Thank you for tweaking my heartstrings!

Back