• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried out my Callahan bag mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm done with my mold I spray it down with 2 cycle engine oil and I put it in a HD ziploc bag. When I'm ready to use it, I wipe it down to get the majority of the oil off, then I spray it down with non Chlorinated brake cleaner.

I ordered a .600 one last week but he hasn't called me yet. I guess I'll call him tomorrow.
Hope you get a response. Maybe something just slipped through the cracks. On the other hand it's getting really frustrating now a days trying to get something done.......almost to the point where I don't even want to try anymore. :rolleyes:😕
I am thinking about getting one, we'll see.

Yeah when you put the order in online, you then have to call and talk to him directly. He does things the old way.
To Place An Order Online:

"To Place An Order Online:

Simply go to the products page, select the item you'd like to order, add it to your cart, and checkout when you're ready. This sends an inquiry/order to Larry Callahan. After Larry's review, he'll call you to discuss the order, the final charges and to arrange for payment.
Please feel free to place order & call Larry anytime."

This a quote from the Callahan website in the "How to Order" section. It sounds like Larry calls you after the order. Can't say since I haven't ordered one.

I ordered a .54 cal bag mold and a folding ladle from Larry Callahan. Well today I decided to give them a try. I just used a propane torch to heat the lead in the ladle. Let me tell you that bag mold Larry makes is VERY good and VERY well made. It looks amazing to me and casts one dang good ball. And that sprue cutter cuts the sprue dead flush with the ball. You couldn't cut the sprue any closer with a pair of flush cutters. If you are thinking about getting a bag mold, I for one HIGHLY recommend these. Now for the down side. Of course the handles will get hot quickly as they are thin steel with no wood insulating you from the heat. But these things are not meant to cast 100's of round ball. I cast 6 high quality balls in a matter of about 10 minutes wearing a pair of leather gloves. Sitting around a fire casting a few balls for a hunt is what I will use them for. Thank you to those of you who told me about Larry's outfit.
I’ve currently only own two ‘bagmolds’, both in 32 caliber (.310”), one is a Callahan, the other a generic unmarked example. Truthfully, they both work about the same, flawlessly at making a lead roundball. Both cast an accurate roundball but both get hot way beyond the ability to hold in short order. Thought about the corncob trick, but can’t bring myself to straighten out the handles on either.

I may be called a heretic for it, but I order and use 1-1/2 ‘Superbuck’ from Ballistic Products for my 32 caliber guns. A smidge harder than pure lead per my tester, but they shoot extremely accurate out of my guns. Around $40 last time I ordered 8lbs of them, nearly 1300 pieces. I cast a lot of projectiles, but with the smaller ones casting just isn’t worth it to me. I am as frugal as the next traditional muzzleloader shooter, but if it doesn’t make sense…. Now when you get into molding 58 caliber Minies that cost more than a $1.00 a pop, it’s a different game. A $90 mold pays for itself pretty quick.

With the above said, I still think it’s cool to have a bagmold with any traditional muzzleloader. It is just necessary to complete one’s kit if you are into that sort of thing. And if you are going to have a bagmold, given a choice, why not make it a Callahan? Unless of course you happen to have an original.

"To Place An Order Online:

Simply go to the products page, select the item you'd like to order, add it to your cart, and checkout when you're ready. This sends an inquiry/order to Larry Callahan. After Larry's review, he'll call you to discuss the order, the final charges and to arrange for payment.
Please feel free to place order & call Larry anytime."

This a quote from the Callahan website in the "How to Order" section. It sounds like Larry calls you after the order. Can't say since I haven't ordered one.
I thought the same thing. Trust me, place the order, then call the man.

SDSmlf and Frontstuffer070
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I would like to order one but the issue about the handle heat seems like a problem with many. I have several bullet molds for bp cartridge but none for round ball so if I get one it will be my primary mold for round balls to shoot and secondly for living history. I obviously wear gloves when I cast but the comments make it seem like gloves are not even enough.

Well, I ordered a .530 and it's supposed to be here the end on the week. I called and talked to Larry (Who is very enjoyable to talk with by the way) and said I heard comments on handle heat. He said he could make one with straight handles so wood could be slid on so that's what I ordered. I'm looking forward to it.

On another note I've been shooting Hornady .530 swaged balls and out of curiosity I took 5 random balls and measured in various spots and weighed them.
Dia. range / weight
1. .530 - .534 / 224.6 gr
2. .528 - .532 / 224.2 gr
3. .529 - .532 / 224.5 gr
4. .529 - .534 / 224.5 gr
5. .520 - .530 / 215.2 gr
I've noticed differences in loading ease and maybe, I say maybe this could be one reason. I marked these by number but haven't shot them.

Last edited:
Back