• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried something new, today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot Swiss powder,(not bragging, or putting down other powders)usual load for my Le Page 11-13 grns 3fg Swiss.Lately I have been reading some of the European muzzeloading forum's,and noticed a lot of Ranked shooters' were using 2fg Swiss in their Le Pages as well as some custom pistol's.(one gentlemen uses 1fg Swiss in 40 cal. underhammmer,and wins?)Sound crazy to me,but what do I know? So I tried 2fg Swiss in my Le Page,probably the best groups shot off hand to date.I know this does not make nuch sense,but ,I was wondering if anyone else has tried this?My load was 15 grns 2 fg swiss,.009 pathch(actual),.436 rb, and RWS 1075 plus caps.I no longer smoke Left Handed cigarettes,not since the 60's anyway....Respectfully montanadan

How did that saying go.... "if you can remember the 60's, you weren't there."

I switched over to Swiss 2f some time ago. I use it in everything including my Lemat and have notcied better performance then when I used Goex 3f in it.

Swiss is tricky. If you take a look at what they call 3f compared to other brands you'll notice that the grains are visibly smaller. Paired with the fact that swiss is higher yield in the energy dept.; it isn't surprising that some shooters get better accuracy (less stripping) by using a slower burning version of this very good propellant. :hatsoff:

Many years ago I found that 2F worked much better in my Ruger old army, was able to hit the target at 200 yards.

200 yds!??? I compete in offhand at 100 yds with my ROA but...... :shocked2:
How do you DOOOOO that?

JohnRNichols said:
Swiss is tricky. If you take a look at what they call 3f compared to other brands you'll notice that the grains are visibly smaller.
Not according to my testing. Swiss has a more consistant 3F size per lb than any of the 4 powders I tested. Check out my Powder Test thread in Accessories.

Paired with the fact that swiss is higher yield in the energy dept.; it isn't surprising that some shooters get better accuracy (less stripping) by using a slower burning version of this very good propellant. :hatsoff:

I've liked what I've shot of it.

Nightwind said:
200 yds!??? I compete in offhand at 100 yds with my ROA but...... :shocked2:
How do you DOOOOO that?
It's doable, if you keep your velocities down. I used to annoy people by banging an 18" gong at near 200 yds with a Freedom Arms and a .45ACP cylinder. Couldn't do it with 45LC or .454, but I could do it all day with .45ACP.

I keep trying to talk myself into trying some 2f.
Are you saying that as a rule 2f is more accurate than 3f regardless of brand?
I have been using 3f goex for a long time.
It works great in rifles but my pistola could be improved. :hmm:

I purchase my Swiss powder in Germany. It is sold by the grade No.1 (which = 4f) No.2 = 3F, No.3 = 2F and No. 4 = 1F. The original containers are only just recently labeled with the "F" scale.
All other brands of powder I've seen are less fine for the described "F" granulation than Swiss.
German Wano (formerly Wasag Chem.) powder with its larger granulation and somewhat lower yield does better in 2F then the Swiss "2F" product when shooting a 370gr. 50cal. conical.
Swiss gives a sharper recoil with 10 grains less powder and shot groups are widened and slightly higher on the paper.
It is completely possible that export Swiss is sized for the American market. If this is the case
then.. As Rosanna Dana once said..Never Mind. :grin: :thumbsup:

JohnRNichols-Thanks for clearing up the Swiss powder grading system.So in the UK when it says Swiss no.1 it is really 4fg,makes more since now.I checked my Swiss, each can is marked 2fg,and 3fg.I did use 2fg in my Le page,and it produced some really good groups.Funny thing ,I did not notice any difference in fouling build up,shot just as clean as 3fg.Respectfully montanadan

Hold about 3' over the target. I nocked down the steel bear at 200 yard that way. It went down sort of slow like it was not hit very hard.

Here are the target loads I use for my pistols.

Lepage .31 Lothar Walther barrel percussion:
.301 RB, German featherbed ticking patch, simple dishwashing soap/water mix lube, overpowder dry felt wad ca. 2/8" thick, 7 gr. Swiss No.1 . (Normal fat-based lubes shoot all over the place with this thing!)

Lepage .44 flinter (rifled)
.435 RB, .34mm ticking patch, DR-100 lube, no wad,
17 gr. Swiss No.2.

I like the swiss because I can get away without swabbing which saves time in a match. It burns clean. Never occurred to me to try a coarser powder in pistols
Now I gotta try the No.3 in the .44! :grin:

Back