• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger pull on TC's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdflint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawkens 50 cal. (Kristy took it ...see forum) Trigger pull is 6# 6 oz. ( 11 oz. with set trigger). My TC Renigade (two trigger) 54 Cal. pulls also at 6# 6oz , but trips at 13 oz, with set trigger. Is that good for hunting. 6# 6 oz. seems a bit harsh !!!!!. Any thoughts will be appreciated ......Jeff

jcdflint said:
I have a TC Hawkens 50 cal. (Kristy took it ...see forum) Trigger pull is 6# 6 oz. ( 11 oz. with set trigger). My TC Renigade (two trigger) 54 Cal. pulls also at 6# 6oz , but trips at 13 oz, with set trigger. Is that good for hunting. 6# 6 oz. seems a bit harsh !!!!!. Any thoughts will be appreciated ......Jeff

I also thought my front triggers were way too heavy for hunting and polished the sear tip & tumbler notches with a dremel tool/buffing tip/buffing compound to get them shiny smooth as glass, and improved them a lot.

But to be honest, I've used the set trigger so much at the range over the years that it's all I use for hunting anyway...have never been so surprised by a deer that I didn't have time to slip off the hammer stall, set the trigger, etc.

You mentioned differences between the two rifles set trigger letoffs...and I assume you've already made changes with the adjusting screw, so you might try what I do which is to also polish the tip of the set trigger like glass where it hooks under the notch on the front trigger for a smoother break.

Roundball Thanks ! I did polish those areas. I have a small Dental lab in My home so I have a lot of tools to work on them. I'm just wondering with the set trigger, set....that it might be too light for safety Hunting). What would be a good set trigger #age ??? ...Jeff

Last year I bought a .54 caliber Renegade Flinter, from the T/C cutom shop. I also thought the trigger was very stiff, when used in the single stage mode. I don't have a scale to measure trigger pull, but I could tell this one was heavy. I sent the lock back to T/C, with a note stating that I thought the pull was too heavy. They sent me back a new lock, which seems to have a lighter pull. This past summer I started using my set triggers, on my T/C Hawkens, and Renegades, and I wonder why I had not used them before. I now have the sets adjusted to my liking, and use them whenever I shoot.

jcdflint said:
Roundball Thanks ! I did polish those areas. I have a small Dental lab in My home so I have a lot of tools to work on them. I'm just wondering with the set trigger, set....that it might be too light for safety Hunting). What would be a good set trigger #age ??? ...Jeff

I just adjust the set trigger by the book:
"set the trigger, turn the adjusting screw in until the trigger just breaks, then back the screw out one full turn".

For target shooting I cheat it back in a half turn so it's right on the edge...but for hunting I adjust it the full turn out

i have my triggers adjusted at 5# unset and 15 ozs set....seem to work good to me....set the trigger and when a deer shows itself i cock the hammer.........bob

Thanks Guys for the info. I never tried setting the trigger before I cocked the flint. I'll try that. It seems the safe way for a light trigger.......Jeff

I think for liability reasons they must set the trigger pull high. I have a TC New Englander 50 cal, you could hold your finger straight out and hang the rifle in your finger by the trigger and it wouldnt fire. If you bounced the gun it would, the pull must have been 10#s. I polished the sear and notch and now its about 2#s which is ok for hunting.

Latest posts

Back