• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swquiro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have several rifles with the small Davis double set triggers and I am very satisfied with them. Recently I bought a Lyman Trade rifle and its trigger is a totally different experience. Happily, the trigger is almost creep free, but, man, is it ever heavy. Is there a way to lighten it without creating an unsafe arrangement? Will appreciate all input, including how to do it, if possible. Thanks.

:eek: My mistake - I forgot the the Lyman Trade Rifle doesn't have set triggers. Polish the mating surfaces between the sear and the trigger. Smooth surfaces reduce the friction. If they are dead soft, then you may want to harden them with Kasenit.

The Trade rifle, having a single trigger, doesn't have the adjustment screws that a double set trigger does. You can lighten the pull some by taking the lock apart and carefully polishing the bearing surfaces, especially the sear contact surfaces. Polish the tip of the sear and the full cock notch, but be careful not to change the angle or remove metal. All you want to do is remove any burrs and polish the surfaces good. Then a drop of good gun oil on them and you should have a better pull weight.

Latest posts

Back