• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 powder VS goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkid60

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for several day's now and almost every one seems to think goex 3f is best for my new .32 cal. According to charts I've seen, triple seven has the most velosity and burns the cleanest, even better then pyrodex p. Is this just because they are more traditionlist or is there another reason?

As for as I am concerned with the right load the Goex 3f shoots just as good as T7. With T7 at $25 a pound and Goex 3f at $9 a pound I am shooting Goex.
Old Charlie

So Old Charlie,you rate them about equal except for price?
Up here my Goex cost $12.50/ lb., so I guess T7 cost more then $25.00!
Any how, we have a lot of hunting in Ohio, especially small game.

Thanks for imput.

Velocity variation can be greater with T7, and therefore possibly less accruate.

BP cut an inch off the group size of one of my revolvers, over T7. The shape of the group with T7 was not circular, which kind of indicates some velocity variation going on.

To test this a little further, I worked up the initial load for my 1861 Springfield with T7. Soon as I can find more Swiss BP I'll be able to see if accuracy changes from T7 to BP, without changing anything but the powder. I do have some Goex so I might try it with that, but I'd really like to use Swiss with everything I have.

Rat

Usually have to buy a case to mail order Swiss, as far as I know. ??

Can't afford that right now.

Rat

WOW, here we go again, I just don't get the fascination with the various subs! About the only reason that may hold up is real black powder may be a little hard to get and store in some locations. However that being said you can order as little as 5 pounds of powder from this place http://www.powderinc.com/index.html last time I checked Swiss was a litle salty about $16 per pound, Goex was about half that, the bad part is the UPS HAZMAT fee to have it shipped. It is costing me about $110 for five pounds of Swiss for my .40 flinter and 1851 Navy revolvers, I buy GOEX locally in case lots for my other big bore muzzleloaders, and BP cartridge loadine. A way to help there is look into buying as a group and spread the fee around, you need to double check but the last time I looked into it you can not resell powder but a "club" may share the expense.
Oh yea "it's too hard to clean BP" the only thing easier to clean than my BP guns is my .22 rimfire, of course it just gets wiped off with an oily rag and stuffed back into the safe.
Your experience may vary.

Back