• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Sight Picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed a rear peep on my ML long before I had cataract surgery. Where I lived at the time the ML clubs and four rondys a year I attended had many shooters who used peeps. Where I've moved to I only found one club that allows a rear peep. The rest are hard core "open iron sights only" which really limits my shooting opportunities. I have found evidence that a rear peep is actually historically correct but oh well.

I too had cataract surgery in January. I have Macular Degeneration and was not warned that this could increase the problem. My rear sights don't show at all.
I have a 74 Shilo Sharps with long range, adjustable aperture and this I can use.

I am concerned about putting a peep on my ML do to decreasing the value, I'm not a young chicken anymore, some time they will have to go as I have no one in the family to give them to.
hang in there bud.its yours put what will help you on your muzzleloader. u deserve it

I have almost the same problem, however, in my case, the front sight ghosts, almost disappears, as the front sight is placed in a square notch, or an aperture rear sight, regardless of the prescription in the glasses, and even with the correct prescription. I found, with or without ,the correct prescription, I can see the front sight, very clearly, in a shallow V notch, even in poor light. That said definition of the front sight is more clear, and more well defined with the proper prescription glasses.

Last edited:
Champion pistol and rifle shooters.....of yore...when scopes were only allowed in matches like the Wimbledon Cup and Leech matches shot basically aperture sights....called peep sights by some and some really amazing shooting was done using the aperture sight. Putting an aperture sight on a Hawken is almost a mortal sin however and those folks in trouble with their vision may find that a cheap pair of glasses from Wally World will give them an idea of just what strength diopter they'd need to see the front sight clearly! Don't make the mistake of trying to see both the rear sight and front sight clearly cuz it ain't gonna happen! The front sight only needs to be seen clearly and the target somewhat of a blur!

Latest posts

Back