• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trouble with flint reliability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be as brief as possible and still do this.

Make your own T.H. liner. Drill the hole off center.
Cut a slot so you can adjust the now "eccentric" hole so the bottom is "water level" with the pan so that a FULL pan will not cover the hole.
Cone the liner ON THE INSIDE leaving maybe a 1/32" of material. ( Never on the outside.)When you load, you should be able to see a powder grain if you hold the rifle up to look.
That powder needs to be "right there".
Convection will send that hot blast into that cold bore like a laser beam.
This way, you load the pan FULL. You can carry the gun in any position and just shoot without a worry of where the pan powder is. Quit obsessing over it. I hunted for thirty years tuning this way. If you say it doesn't work, then you have not correctly done it.
Polish the inside face of your lock to increase lock time.
If you cannot hold your rifle upside down and fire it, you aren't tuned.
Make the vent 1/8" and carry a pipe cleaner. Just run it through the hole before loading.(Smallest vent that a small pipe cleaner will fit through.)
Never fire the gun just to "Dry it out" before loading. Just run patches till dry and use pipe cleaners to finish. I NEVER had a misfire due to a damp bore doing this.

First time I've been here in a year or so, and probably be that long again.

I doubt that anyone will do this, but it actually is the truth. I learned it by paying attention to the VERY few folks I met that understood ignition, and by experimentation.
I started shooting and then hunting in 1970 and hung it up in 1999. I seldom had a misfire or hang fire except in the rain. And I hunted in Louisiana and Miss. Not exactly the desert.

Cosby.

I like what most consider large vent holes, just shy of 5/64" but also think 1/8" is a bit on the large side unless using 1f powder it seems like most of the charge would end up in then pan. Also there is realy no reason to drill a 1/4" hole in a perfectly good barrel then plug make a plug for it and drill another hole in the plug, just drill a plain hole in the barrel in the correct position starting with a bit over 1/16" inch and go up in size untill ignition is as wanted. A bit of coning on the out side is ok but a bit on the inside is better (some do both with good results) and it is easy to make a tool to do this. The process is described several times on this forum. Good luck and always follow the best advice you can find and when in doubt look to the originals, and this does not mean the high end Euro guns or repaired colonial ones

Back