• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRU-OIL problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stripped Pedersoli walnut stock and stained it. I let it dry completely , 2 days, and I applied the tru-oil as directed. Looks real good but it didn't dry completely after a day in the sun. Still a little tacky but I lightly steel wool it and apply another light coat and let it dry in the warm weather. Still a little tacky after 2 days of drying. Again I steel wool it and apply another light coat. manure !#% I do it a couple more times but absolutely will not completely dry even after 3 days. I've tried it on windy warm days as well as under the air conditioner. Any ideas? I will call the manufacture & hopefully get some answers. date code 241156..........labrat
It was a hand finished oil stock.... what did you strip? Take the bluing off the barrel, but don't touch the stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20240827_131812_719_edited.jpeg
    IMG_20240827_131812_719_edited.jpeg
    4.1 MB
Update......It's been 5 days since the last hand rubbed coat and I am happy to say that it is no longer tacky to the touch. I just left it alone to dry in the warmth of my garage with the shop fan on. The finish looks great and I'm sure happy I don't have to do this all over! Thanks for all the input.........labrat

OK... This is the best that I can do. I wish I could produce the beautiful wood work that you all have shown me. But this dog is too old for learning new tricks. I tend to take the easy way out now, HA!.......labrat

Attachments

• 20241018_164453.jpg
    20241018_164453.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • 20241018_164624.jpg
    20241018_164624.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • 20241018_164659.jpg
    20241018_164659.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • 20241018_164733.jpg
    20241018_164733.jpg
    2.2 MB
When applying by hand you generally get a rather thin coat. But, as I and others have posted in this thread, a heavy coat or series of coats (there was a post where it was sprayed on then once tacky more coats were sprayed on) can and have been applied. I have never had what you describe as “a maple syrup varnish”.

I like reading how others apply TruOil but from what I have read it appears that lots of people apply it as one would BLO, to the point, with TruOil that technique is not necessary.

As others have also noted, if you have a relatively thin coating (even after several coats) you will very likely rub through the finish in spots should you rub out the finish using rotten stone or whatever.

But whatever works for whoever is fine with me. I have no intention of changing how I use the product.

This is a walnut stock that I finished with TruOil using an airbrush. At times in the finishing process I added an oil based stain to the TruOil. No knocking down of the finish was done on this stock, the non-shiny effect was achieved by adding something to the TruOil for the final coat.
View attachment 356072

A lot of guns I’ve refinished that used true oil applied in thick heavy coats and the excess was not wiped off, this resulted in heavy area’s and surface distortions, my reference to the look of maple syrup. People get carried away with using tru-oil when they see it dry so quick. The concept of pushing a thinned oil into the wood grain is not often understood, i call it burnishing some call it boning.

Back