• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to stay out of trouble, here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a CVA Varmint rifle that is factory drilled and tapped, and the cock turned out for scope clearance. If a scope will keep a guy or gal shooting good. I'm sure I'll be there someday God willing. I have to paint my front sight on most of my rifles.
I wouldn't be able to drive without glasses.

I have an extra pair in the car.. but.

I really should bring an extra pair in the woods just the same.

You know what the woods looks like without glasses 😆 oh man.. your blind out there

As good as I am with iron sights..

I want a scope on the deer. I want to see it.

That's why that's a deer gun 1980 I guess but before inline.

Verry few Not many people have birds type vision where they see like that scope. They usually are the ones that say they can't use a scope for that reason. It's true they can't use a scope.
What's really fascinating is that, here in New Mexico, scopes are forbidden when hunting deer or elk, because they say it doesn't give the animal a fair chance... yet you can fire up your Garand with a scope, and there's no issues, lol!

I wouldn't be able to drive without glasses.

I have an extra pair in the car.. but.

I really should bring an extra pair in the woods just the same.

You know what the woods looks like without glasses 😆 oh man.. your blind out there
Yep.

What's really fascinating is that, here in New Mexico, scopes are forbidden when hunting deer or elk, because they say it doesn't give the animal a fair chance... yet you can fire up your Garand with a scope, and there's no issues, lol!

We used to be.... no rifled barrel. Shotgun state

I didn't think they would ever charge that...

Now there trying to turn it into more a bow state.

I'm afraid they will give the bows an even longer season and cut us down to a 3 day crazy army out there for a season..

Out of everything meaning.. how different states allot different means of hunting..
States that allow
Bait.
Deer drives.
Etc..
Bow vs gun hunters
Birds hunters and deer overlapping seasons

The most fire comes from the dogs and running deer. Talk about a nuclear-powered topic..

The guys running coyote are second.

Danny, you have to consider the reason for the season, as well as what brings in revenue for the state. In many states, a traditional season is just that…..traditional. It is often before the gun season. I’m not sticking up for the F&G for any state. However, if people were allowed to use what is basically the equivalent of a high powered CF rifle during the early ML season, it takes away from the revenue of the state and flat ticks off many of the CF hunters that, in many states, is during the rut. It is during the CF big game seasons that brings in the most revenue for not just F&G departments, but for the local areas as well. Motels, restaurants, sporting goods stores, gas stations, etc. Also, most hunters prefer to hunt during cooler temperatures, and I do not blame them.

Some states allow early ML seasons, usually includes inlines, which nowadays are nothing more than a high powered CF rifle. Some states have true traditional ML seasons.. Meaning just that….traditional. Sidelocks or flintlocks and no scopes. No covered caps or ignition systems.

It really is that easy. It’s mostly about what brings in the most revenue for the state and F&G departments. It doesn’t mean we have to like it, but we do have to follow the rules.

As much as I love my traditional ML’s, I can promise you that as long as I can see my open sights, I refuse to install a scope on any of them, at least at this time. With this whacked out, evil, liberal government, we might all soon be restricted to traditional ML. That is IF we are lucky.

Honestly, if anyone does not like the term “Traditional” or does not accept the traditional ML hunting season regulations, then there are plenty of those other types of types of ML’s out there. It really is that easy.

Last edited:
Just signed up, and read through the rules list. Most of them are common sense and self-explanatory, but there are a few that I have questions about, mainly so I don't get in trouble with the moderators.

My understanding of the term Muzzle Loader means a weapon based upon antique firearms, pre-1865, where you have to push a powder charge, wad, and bullet down the barrel, then load a primer or cap that can be ignited by the hammer.
What exactly constitutes an "in-line"? I have two Tradition buckstalkers that are break-barrel with 209 breech-loaders, are these, or are they NOT... muzzle loaders? I have to muscle a charge, wad and ball down the muzzle to load it, what is changed that makes such a thing "not a muzzle loader"?

I also noted that civil war era revolvers (such as my CVA 1858 Army) are not considered actual muzzle loaders, but are permitted to be discussed. I presume this is because most of them have a built-in ramrod under the barrel that loads each chamber of the cylinder. My response would be that, theoretically, you can still muzzle load each chamber, even though that would seem to be defeating the purpose of the built-in ramrod, wouldn't it? If you so wished, you could shove a charge, wad, and bullet down the barrel with a separate ramrod, then rotate the cylinder so that you can access the next empty chamber, right?

I note that discussion of making explosive devices is prohibited, as is manufacture of black powder. Does this include the discussion of molding your own bullets, fabricating or reloading your own percussion caps to overcome the current and chronic shortage of available caps like #10 or #11 caps in the marketplace?

Again, these are just honest questions, so the moderators won't see a necessity to take me out to the woodshed for crossing into a topic that I wasn't aware was forbidden.

Final question: is discussion and advice about building your own muzzle loader (whether from a kit or from scratch) a permitted topic?

Thanks guys, with an apology in advance if I ruffled any feathers with these questions...

-Danny
was reading state laws...some states require muzzle loading rear loading not allowed

was reading state laws...some states require muzzle loading rear loading not allowed
have yet to see a BP firearm that was rear-loading. Even revolvers are loaded from the front of the cylinder, although you could shove the charge, wad and ball down the barrel with a ramrod, if you prefer to do everything the hard way. Myself, I'm thankful for the little bar under the barrel of my 58 Army...

Danny, you have to consider the reason for the season, as well as what brings in revenue for the state. In many states, a traditional season is just that…..traditional. It is often before the gun season. I’m not sticking up for the F&G for any state. However, if people were allowed to use what is basically the equivalent of a high powered CF rifle during the early ML season, it takes away from the revenue of the state and flat ticks off many of the CF hunters that, in many states, is during the rut. It is during the CF big game seasons that brings in the most revenue for not just F&G departments, but for the local areas as well. Motels, restaurants, sporting goods stores, gas stations, etc. Also, most hunters prefer to hunt during cooler temperatures, and I do not blame them.

Some states allow early ML seasons, usually includes inlines, which nowadays are nothing more than a high powered CF rifle. Some states have true traditional ML seasons.. Meaning just that….traditional. Sidelocks or flintlocks and no scopes. No covered caps or ignition systems.

It really is that easy. It’s mostly about what brings in the most revenue for the state and F&G departments. It doesn’t mean we have to like it, but we do have to follow the rules.

As much as I love my traditional ML’s, I can promise you that as long as I can see my open sights, I refuse to install a scope on any of them, at least at this time. With this whacked out, evil, liberal government, we might all soon be restricted to traditional ML. That is IF we are lucky.

Honestly, if anyone does not like the term “Traditional” or does not accept the traditional ML hunting season regulations, then there are plenty of those other types of types of ML’s out there. It really is that easy.
Yes, I see lots of different statutes, from state to state, including some which have decided that ML & BP must be licensed, registered and controlled... but I don't live in the PRC, and our forefathers beat the mightiest nation on earth with squirrel guns...
What bugs me about the NM law is that there are no restrictions on CF rifles with scopes, only ML's. Why is it "not fair" for traditionalists, but perfectly acceptable for someone with an AR 15 to hunt animals with a scope?

have yet to see a BP firearm that was rear-loading. Even revolvers are loaded from the front of the cylinder, although you could shove the charge, wad and ball down the barrel with a ramrod, if you prefer to do everything the hard way. Myself, I'm thankful for the little bar under the barrel of my 58 Army...
Look up the Ferguson Rifle or the Hall Rifle. These are both breech loaded Flint lock rifles that are the open the breech, insert the ball, pour the powder, close the breech and prime the pan.

The most recent issue of "Muzzle Blasts", the NMLRA monthly magazine has a good article on the Ferguson Rifle.

Do re-read the Forums list of Rules.

Back