• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tulle cheek replacement save me a blackeye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twice boom said:
I think the gun was intended to be shot like a one would shoot a shotgun with lots of drop at the comb. You do not put your face tight on the wood if you expect to kill something while flying..I know you want to hunt turkey with it but I'm afraid the stock design does not lend itself well for the modern techniques we are accustomed to.

If I were to shoot that gun I would keep my cheek well above the stocks comb. In fact I would shoot it with my jaw bone slightly over the comb. Then again I could be blowing hot air.. :wink:

Twice

I must respectfully disagree with not taking a firm anchor on a shotgun stock. It creates another anchor point for precision. If one can't make firm contact with the comb and jawbone to allow both the shooter and the gun to recoil in unison then the gun does not fit.

I will have to stand fast on the good chance that if the wood is removed to iliminated the need to "mount" the top of the stock, recoil with not be noticed, just a personal observation, again the front sight position plays a part in this positioning of the cheek, I noticed a big difference sgooting a factory fusil and the one I made to fit me.I would be interested in how much the detractors of these guns have actually shot them when the gun is made properly.

That's what I'm thinking . What I was trying to say is the way the stock is shaped in order to shoot it he has to make allowances .Those allowances wont necessary keep him from having his face whacked. I can't believe a French man would desighn a stock that would cause him to take chance messing with his face when his face is too important part of his life.
I’ve not shot one nor have I held one in hand just going by visualization and with a bit of experience shooting more straighter stocked guns.
Twice..

One thing that may have made a differance here would have been a cast off which is not found in those stocks Track sells. My Fowler has a 3/16" cast off and never bites, infact it's a joy to shoot and it has a French style butt but not as pronounced as this one.

I can't believe a French man would desighn a stock that would cause him to take chance messing with his face when his face is too important part of his life.
Probably alot of difference between original dechasse archetecture and modern reproduction de chasse archetecture. I have found that quite a bit of drop is needed with this buttstock type to avoid a swift kick in the cheek bone.

i am the mongo said:
Swampy
I know what a castoff is but I don't understand what is does. Please explain.

Mongo

Well there are better people than me to explain it but, the butt is pushed over a fraction of an inch from the center line. That allows your eye to look right down the center of the barrel. An example, all my guns have a 3/16" cast off and I can close my eyes shoulder my guns and open my eyes, I am looking right down the barrel/sights without having to move my head. I can't do that with a straight stock, can get close but still have to fidgit a little to get the sights.

Mike Brooks said:
I can't believe a French man would desighn a stock that would cause him to take chance messing with his face when his face is too important part of his life.
Probably alot of difference between original dechasse archetecture and modern reproduction de chasse archetecture. I have found that quite a bit of drop is needed with this buttstock type to avoid a swift kick in the cheek bone.

Probably true in what you said. What I said was intended for little humor. I best keep my day time job,huh? :haha:

Twice.

Latest posts

Back