• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tuning a lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a small siler on my pistol.
That just "eats" flints.. It sparks well the ignition is great.
But I am only getting a few shots before having to replace the flint.
I am assuming the frizzen spring or mainspring is to strong. Can I grind either of them to get a few more shots with the flints?
which spring should I start with??
Know they need to be kept cool while grinding..
Any suggestions would be appreciated
50smoothbore49001.jpg
[/img]

I would start with the frizzen spring by thinning thickness of top leaf and polishing and buffing it and nose of frizzen.

Bubba45 said:
I would start with the frizzen spring by thinning thickness of top leaf and polishing and buffing it and nose of frizzen.
I'm certainly no expert, but I would agree. As has been mentioned in many previous posts, the only tension you need on the frizzen is enough to just keep it in the closed position.

Tinker2 said:
You also don’t want the frizzen to bounce back as well.

Tinker2

Right on , its a balancing act . Not enough tension when open and it can come back with enough force to bust flints and let hot gases and charred powder blow in your face .

I am by no means any expert on repairing locks. :shake:
However, of the ones I have had that ate flints, it was not a mainspring or hammer problem, every time but once it was the frizzen slapping back & hitting the flint & breaking/chipping the flint.
On those occasions, I took the frizzen spring, heated the end of it right in front of where the cam rides closed & bent it slightly down there, quenched it in oil, & that fixed the problem. If you look at the frizzen spring on a Chambers Deluxe Siler, look at how the end of the frizzen spring is & you will see how it ends up.

:thumbsup:

I took material off the frizzen spring..polished it and also polished the end/bottom.. of the frizzen.
It moves much easier now.. will shoot it tomorrow and advise.
Meanwhile I will have a look at the spring on the chambers.

WOW.
What a difference that made.. :thumbsup:
10 shots in a row.. the flint still looks good.
There seems to be less wear on the fizzzen face.
Great advise..
Love this forum.
Regards
Mike

Latest posts

Back