• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey calls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the next issue of Buckskinner and you just might see my wing bone call made from a turkey I took!

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

We got a lot of Turkeys running around in this town we now live in, but most of them don't have wings. Can you make one out of an Arm bone? :crackup:

I just made two wingbone calls this wk...lot easier to make than to use.

Yes Sir,

It took me a couple of weeks just to get good enough that it sounds like a turkey. Made my lip sore too.

I found that I have hold my lips parched very tight and suck in making a kissing like sound! It works fairly well!

But once ya get it down they work pretty good Old Lewis Wetzel supposedly fooled an injun with one. The injun was supposedly trying to lure out some settlers from the protection of a fort or something like that!

Don't know the truthfulness of that tale. But it makes a good story!

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

We got a lot of Turkeys running around in this town we now live in, but most of them don't have wings. Can you make one out of an Arm bone?

You better check your your state game laws for the answer to that one.

I think the wingbone calls were pretty effective for Indians around here once upon a time.

I meant to say the Indians used them effectively to call turkeys and not that they were used to call Indians, but if the Indians were hunting turkeys at the time, who knows?

Took out a 18lb wild turkey from the freezer my father shot last year in N.Y. It should make a couple of nice wing bone calls. :)

I was recently shown how to use a clay pipe for a passable wingbone call. Takes some practice, but you can get some good clucks out of it. Be careful, though, and clean it out first...tabac in the lungs SUCKS!

SB

Took out a 18lb wild turkey from the freezer my father shot last year in N.Y. It should make a couple of nice wing bone calls.

Am I reading that right, your father shot a freezer? :crackup:

This site here will tell you more than you probably want to know about what wingbone calls sound like, look like, how to make them..they really got some fancy ones too.

Wingbones

Hey KyFlintlock,

Is the slate just epoxied onto that shell? How thick do you recon the slate is?

Yeah it is epoxied. My guess is about 3/16s, but I bet you could get away with 1/4". My guess is the thinner the higher pitch...

I am getting STOKED!!!!! I can't wait to hear one THUNDER!

Wess

Made my first wingbone call. Wasn't diffacult at all and rather enjoyed doing it. And every once in awhile it does have a great sound...but its gonna take some practice to get consistant lol. Anyways I'm glad I did it. :)

wingbone3.jpg

Nice job. I have one but quite haven't mastered it. WHo am I kidding, as a buddy of mine said, "I sould like a beagle caught in a steel trap with it". :haha:

Good luck

I still ain't figured out how to make this wingbone sound like a turkey!

146292.jpg

Anybody else got any pics?
Wess

Wess you do it just like you make a noise with a drinking straw.
Stiffin both yer lips and then try it.
Your cheeks will get sore from doing it at first.
It takes a lil practice but it isn't that hard to do.
I have taken an inkpen apart and used it to turkey talk when I have seen them on a back road ride and didn't have a call with me. Amazeing they answered me doing that too.

Woody

Thanks Woody, I'll giver er' a try. A buddy used it and it sounded great, so I know it is just me. :curse:

Good luck!
Wess

Back